Where to store utc date in raw and jpegs?

Started by Alan Clifford, March 02, 2011, 11:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Clifford

I have been trying to read if there is a definitive answer to this but there doesn't seem to be.  So opinions wanted.

I have a lot of photos where the datetimeoriginal is utc but it would be useful to me if I changed that to local time and stored utc time, or timezone, elsewhere.

I have seen a suggestion that it could be stored in the gps date and time fields.  Question here, would that cause any problems if there were no other gps data?

I've been looking at ExifTool_config and I gather I could make my own exif:alansdate tag.  Again, would that lead to problems, maybe with other software?

Alan

Phil Harvey

Hi Alan,

The best alternative is to use XMP:DateTimeOriginal which supports time zones, and should do what you want if the software you are using to read this information supports XMP.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Alan Clifford

Quote from: Phil Harvey on March 02, 2011, 12:10:52 PM
Hi Alan,

The best alternative is to use XMP:DateTimeOriginal which supports time zones, and should do what you want if the software you are using to read this information supports XMP.

- Phil

Thanks for that suggestion; I think I am going to store local time in there.  The software I use to read the information is exiftool!  I might rewrite the exif:datetimeoriginal in all my old photos that have utc, once I have captured the timezones into the xmp:datetimeoriginal.

Alan