Main Menu

Customizing at Startup

Started by roxie380, March 23, 2011, 09:09:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roxie380

Hi - after have used version 338 and now version 480, I was wondering if any of the following would be possible (maybe by editing the ini file) or maybe be added to the "Program/Preferences:"

1.  Set a Default Path for startup - for example, "Start in: My Pictures" rather than the last path used.

2.  Deselect "Details" and open with the Thumbs view (similar to the way the "Thumbs Button" entry in the old ini file worked).

3.  Specify a default for the "Quick, Exit, IPTC, XMP, Maker, All, Custom" open - in other words, Set a default button in the ini or Preferences so "Custom" , etc.is selected at startup.

4.  Specify a default path for the TXT file output so it always goes to the same folder rather than the folder where the image is located.

And it may just be personal preference, but I really liked the way the sections were highlighted in color in the old version for the EXIF tab.

I just love the amount of data presented with the tool and the GUI is so great - its just that there were things in the old version that were nice (at least for me) and being able to specify how the program opens would be a plus.

Thanks for the consideration.

BogdanH

Hi,

About:
1. -will be done (good idea)
2. -will be done (probably in Preferences)
3. -will be done (as you recommended: in Preferences)
4. -will be done (probably in Preferences, as default Save folder)
Let's see.. all wishes granted  :)

About some tags in blue color.. In old GUI this was an indication of of what tags can be modified inside GUI. Now, in v4.x, ExifTool direct usage became much more "handy"... so any tag can be modified within GUI -and blue indication became somehow pointless (but I agree, it was "nice").
I had another idea about blue lines usage: even GUI separates view by Exif, Iptc, Xmp and Makernotes sections, usually there are still a lot tags displayed for each section. So, sometimes it's hard to find particular tag in listing... Now, how many times do we look after FocalPlaneXResolution tag value inside Exif? I would say, never. On the other hand, we are very often interested on, for example, ApertureValue tag. Finally, my idea was to indicate some (not too many) of most interesting tags. And because tags are always listed in the same sequence, one could easy find another tag by saying "I know, tag I'm looking for is just after ApertureValue (which is indicated in blue)". I will seriously think about that.

Bogdan

roxie380

Bogdan,

So cool - thanks very much - if you have a need for a beta test of any of these, please let me know.  I'm still running Windows XP Pro (32bit) and don't know how much help it will be, but I would be happy to test anything you need.

Also, as to the colors - I agree, there are some things I always look for - Aperture (f-stop), Shutter speed, ISO, which camera body (make) and lens.  But I'm sure you will have to make the final decision because you will get a lot of "input" for preferences.

Thanks again for looking at my list and considering the suggestions.

If you can, let me know when you have incorporated the items.

Great interface - thanks so much!

roxie380

Bogdan,

Thank you so much!  All the suggestions incorporated.  Cool.

Hope it wasn't a lot of coding and that others find the Setup Preferences useful.

And I love the ability to "Mark" the tags - highlight by users choices.  That is a nice addition.

Thanks again for the on-going support.

BogdanH

Quote from: roxie380 on April 03, 2011, 05:25:04 PM
Hope it wasn't a lot of coding and that others find the Setup Preferences useful.
It wasn't that much work, but I wouldn't do it if I wouldn't think it is useful in general -thank you for bringing that up.

And I love the ability to "Mark" the tags - highlight by users choices.  That is a nice addition.
Thanks. I'm a bit proud of how I implemented that -I have my times ..sometimes  ;)

Bogdan