Memory leak

Started by Oleander, April 27, 2011, 04:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oleander

When starting ExifTool with the arguments '-stay_open 1 -@ -' and subsequently writing (XMP) tags to images memory is leaked.
The amount of memory leaked seems to correlate to the number of tags written.

ExifTool version: Windows executable 8.50/8.56

Phil Harvey

I can pretty well guarantee that there is no memory leak, but it is normal for memory to grow to a point.  The memory handling is all done automatically by Perl.  At some point all unused memory is recovered by the regular garbage collection.  Most Perl implementations are very good, but the Active Perl (used by the Windows executable) seems to be more of a memory hog.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Oleander

The memory usage of ExifTool grows until there is no memory left (2GB RAM + 2GB swapfile in this case) and then terminates.

Attached a crude sample batch file. Adjust paths as needed. Use a smaller test image / add more tags to speed up memory usage.

Phil Harvey

I can't test this until next week when I will have access once again to a Windows machine.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Oleander

Phil Harvey

Thanks for reminding me about this.  I just ran a test extracting information from an image (832 KB jpeg image) repeatedly using the -stay_open option.  The system was Windows XP SP3, with the Windows executable version of ExifTool 8.57.  After each -execute, I checked the memory usage.  Here are the results (in KB):

So it looks to me as if the ActivePerl memory reclamation is working properly, at least for this test.

I'll try your .bat file.

- Phil

Phil Harvey

OK, I can reproduce the leak using your .bat file.  For now, I suggest restarting exiftool every few hundred files or so, but I will continue to look into this to see if I can find the source of the problem.

- Phil

Phil Harvey

FOUND IT!!

It turns out that the Perl garbage collection algorithm has a known bug: It can't handle circular references when deallocating objects.

I was using a circular reference when storing information for tags to be written.  I now remove these references before the object goes out of scope and the problem is SOLVED!  (This also explains why I didn't see the problem when just reading information.)

This fix will appear in version 8.58 when it is released.

Thanks for pointing out this problem.  I learned something.

- Phil

Oleander

I'm glad I could help.