Canon DPP 3.10.1 - LensType (Makernotes)?

Started by ewg, May 03, 2011, 07:53:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ewg

Hello Forum!  :)

I'm affraid the newest DPP (v3.10.1) no longer enables LensType-tag-modified files to be corrected for lens aberrations (the 'Lens aberration correction' module is locked). - Is it temporary? Any guesses? ;)

(Using: ExifTool 8.56 + GUI 4.10)

BogdanH

Just tried and as it seems, it's not about modified lens type.. I have raw examples from various EOS cameras (i.e. 60D with Canon lens attached) and for all those files DPP first shortly shows lens correction window and then window automatically closes within 2-3 seconds.
I would say, it's a bug in DPP 3.10.1 -thank you for pointing that out.

Bogdan

ewg

Well, reportedly some third party lenses (at least: Tamron 70-300 VC USD, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Sigma 18-200 OS...)
manufactured as to pretend to be Canon's make (Makernotes: LensType) also ceased working with the newest DPP's Lens correction module - just gray/inactive buttons on Tool palette. Plus previosly modified pictures now display uncorrected.

Let's hope that's only a bug - not a competition battle... Thank you!  :)

BogdanH

Update... DPP behaviour (as I have described above) isn't a bug after all -now I have the same issue with older DPP versions as well -thus, there's something wrong in my PC. I assume it's related to graphic card (+driver) which I've changed recently. I will report as soon I know more.

Update:
I have reinstalled Win7x64 and now DPPv3.10.1 works as intended.
Btw. I've read somewhere, that Canon removed some lens ID's of very old lenses from DPP -so, for those lenses, Lens Correction doesn't work anymore. And because 3rd party manufacturers (Sigma, etc.) used those IDs for some of their lenses, Lens Correction doesn't work for those lenses as well.

Bogdan

ewg

Every time a new version of DPP is available an updated manual comes with it (pdf). Among other things it lists all lenses officially supported by the given DPP version (pages: 63-64). Comparing the two recent lists (3.9 vs 3.10), seems to be no ommitions there, I'm affraid. On the contrary - a few lenses were added and the list is even longer! What you read must've been out of the "official" list then - probably undocumented at all...

The point is ExifTool GUI used to modify lens IDs (optional term for LensType?) of various 3rd party lenses to the IDs of DPP's "officially" supported lenses (if missing) making them, the lenses,  correctable in DPP (optically not optimal, of course). - Well... you wrote it, you do know it, right? ;) - Sadly this useful trick no longer works for DPP 3.10.  :( - I'm just curious, what preciseley they might  have changded there in the EXIF reading code - and if DPP 3.9 was the last version I loved! ;D

ps I'm glad your machine is now ok and ready!  8)

BogdanH

About modifying lens type..
I have tried on 350D raw file (which doesn't support LensType at all) and as it seems, DPP changed it's behaviour. Now it isn't enought to change LensType only, because DPP also checks if Makernote tags LongFocal and ShortFocal match LensType. That is, if you choose LensType EF-S17-55 in GUI, then you must also manually change LongFocal and ShortFocal value. Command for ExifTool Direct would be:
-LongFocal=55 -ShortFocal=17
-now DPP will allow lens correction.

ewg

Brilliant! Are you going to implement this code into the GUI soon?

Thank you very much indeed!  :)

BogdanH

Yes, it will be in next update -because modifying only LensType doesn't serve the purpose anymore. I can only hope that Canon isn't planning some further checks in future (Min/MaxAperture of the lens, etc.).
Thank you for pointing on this.

Update: new GUI v4.11 is ready for download.

ewg

Wow! That was quick! And is working flawlessly! Impressive... My best regards!