Output metadata to a text file using geosetter.

Started by NCLT, May 30, 2011, 06:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCLT

Hi,
I tried to post this last week, but it looks like it didn't post.  Sorry for doubling up if it did.

I need to output metadata into a text file.  I can do that beautifully with ExifTool.  I use:

exiftool -csv -r -Location -SourceFile -CreateDate -FileName -GPSLatitude -GPSLongitude -Description -GPSimgDirectionsRef -GPSImgDirection -Title C:\Users\Jenn\Desktop\geosetterTest\test > out.txt

I'm adding GPS metadata with GeoSetter which uses ExifTool.  (I'll ask this in the GeoSetter Forum, too, but there also seem to be a lot of users here)  There's an option under File>Settings to "Use Additional ExifTool Commands after GeoSetter Commands".  It looks like I should be able to put in the same command line and when I save changes, it should output the text file with the metadata.

However, the only way it does anything is if I do it like this:

-execute -csv -r -Location -SourceFile -CreateDate -FileName -GPSLatitude -GPSLongitude -Description -GPSimgDirectionsRef -GPSImgDirection -Title C:\Users\Jenn\Desktop\geosetterTest\test > out.txt

When I save the files, I get:
"ExifTool Execution Statement"

C:\Users\Jenn\AppData\Roaming\GeoSetter\tools\exiftool.exe  -@ "C:\Users\Jenn\AppData\Local\Temp\et02BD7405.arg" -execute -overwrite_original -P -csv -r -Location -SourceFile -CreateDate -FileName -GPSLatitude -GPSLongitude -Description -GPSimgDirectionsRef -GPSImgDirection -Title C:\Users\Jenn\Desktop\geosetterTest\test > out.txt -common_args "C:\Users\Jenn\Desktop\geosetterTest\test\P1000507.JPG"

-XMP:Creator=
-XMP:AuthorsPosition=
-XMP:CountryCode=
-XMP:Country=
-XMP:State=
-XMP:City=
-XMP:Location=Here
-IPTC:CodedCharacterSet=
-XMP:Artist=
-XMP:Description=driveway
-XMP:Instructions=
-XMP:Title=202
-XMP:Headline=
-XMP:Credit=
-XMP:Rights=
-XMP:CaptionWriter=
-XMP:Source=
-XMP:BaseUrl=
-XMP:Category=
-xmp:rating=
-xmp:ratingpercent=
-XMP:Label=
-XMP:CreatorAddress=
-XMP:CreatorPostalCode=
-XMP:CreatorCity=
-XMP:CreatorRegion=
-XMP:CreatorCountry=
-XMP:CreatorWorkTelephone=
-XMP:CreatorWorkEmail=
-XMP:CreatorWorkURL=
-execute
-overwrite_original
-P
-L
-IPTC:Sub-Location=Here

"Errors/Warnings"

Error opening directory >
File not found: out.txt
    1 directories scanned
    3 image files read
    1 files could not be read

I want to do this in GeoSetter to simplify the workflow for (minimally trained) volunteers.  I just started working on this, so I think I have the latest updates.  Also, I'm not too familiar with this kind of program, so I might have the vocab a little bit wrong, and I wouldn't know it if the 'error' is telling my something really obvious.  Let me know if any of it is confusing.

Anybody see any obvious ways to fix this?  Or has anyone successfully used the "Additional ExifTool Command" setting?

Thanks for your time
Jenn

Phil Harvey

Hi Jenn

The redirection (>) is a feature of the shell, which isn't being used here, so that won't work 

But you may be able to use the -w option instead. You will have to do this as 2 commands separated with -execute as you seem to already know because you can't write and read in the same command.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).