User Configuration File does not provide expected results

Started by ryerman, July 30, 2011, 12:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryerman

Consider this file on my Desktop:    exiftool(-k -a -u -g1).exe
As expected, I drop files on it to show the Group 1 tags.  But lately, none of the composite tags created in the user configuration file are shown.  Only Image Size is shown for image files and Date/Time Original and Duration are shown for audio files.  Also, a user created IFD0 tag is listed by its "number". It's name had been shown previously. The same result occurs when I use a one line bat file. (exiftool -k -a -u -g1 %1)

However, when I create a Windows shortcut with this target:   "C:\Program Files\ExifTool\exiftool.exe" -k -a -u -g1,   everything appears normal.
I use the Windows executable but long ago I downloaded the full distribution and installed .Exiftool_config according to the documentation.  I have used it successfully in the past.  Apparently, I can still get it to work sometimes.

I recently updated to v8.61 so maybe some bug has crept in with respect to the loading or handling of the config file.
But it seems odd that the shortcut works when a direct call appears not to work.

Is it you or is it me? :)

Jim

Edit:  I think I can answer my own question Phil and the answer is that it's you. :-\
         I just remembered an old zip file for v8.56. Using that version displays everything correctly. I should have tried that earlier.
Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Exiftool v12.61

Phil Harvey

Hi Jim,

I'll look into this, but I have some questions:

1) What version of Windows are you using?

2) What directory is the .ExifTool_config file in?

3) What are the values of your HOME, HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH environment variables?  (I can't remember the command to display these in Windows, maybe try "set" or "printenv" at the command prompt.)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ryerman

Hi Phil,
Edit: Hold the horses, mister.

Please don't spend any more time on this.  I have probably raised a false alarm.  I just now started some retesting and everything is showing normally.  I can't explain it yet (maybe I never will) but the only substantial changes I can remember making are renaming exiftool.exe (to switch versions), restarting the computer a few times, and disconnecting an external USB drive.  I'll report back after further investigation.

Sorry about that. :-[

Here's most of the information.  I couldn't find a HOME environment variable but I guessed PATH may be important.
("set" is the command in the command window but I used a VB script extract variables without typing)

Windows 7 SP1, 64 bit, Home Premium

HOMEDRIVE = C:

HOMEPATH = \Users\Jim

PATH = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files\Emsisoft Emergency Kit\Run;C:\Users\Jim\Downloads\unzipped;C:\Program Files\ExifTool;C:\Program Files (x86)\Mp3tag;C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC;C:\Program Files\shntool;C:\Program Files\NameDate;C:\Program Files\GSAR;C:\Program Files (x86)\2BrightSparks\SyncBack;C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG10;C:\Program Files (x86)\uTorrent;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared

ExifTool Path = C:\Program Files\ExifTool\exiftool.exe

Configuration File Path = C:\Program Files\ExifTool\.ExifTool_config

Maybe my installation is faulty so I'll investigate using exiftool when it's in different directories, with and without relying on the PATH.

Thank-you,

Jim

ryerman

Hi Phil:
Please see the edit in my previous post.
I'm sending this in case you aren't automatically notified of edits so to try and stop you from needless investigation on your end.
Jim

Phil Harvey

Hi Jim,

I'm glad you sorted this out.  It would be nice to know what the specific problem was, but at least now it is working for you.  Good thing too, because I can't think of any recent change in exiftool that could have affected this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ryerman

Hi Phil,

I don't really know what or how to investigate, but here are my thoughts:

1. With applications that have no default installation directory, I habitually create a convenient location and add it to my PATH.  This causes PATH to be long but it's easy for me to find the applications.  I haven't a clue as to what is "long" or even if it matters.  But just to take that issue out of the equation, I have now removed the specific reference in PATH, deleted the custom directory, and installed ExifTool (and .Exiftool_config) in the Windows folder.  If Windows stops loading it properly from there, I'll change operating systems.

2. This seems far-fetched.  I use an app launcher gadget that is terrific.  It contains 80 shortcuts (with room for 40 more) in about 3 square inches. That is where I had the shortcut to the exiftool bat file that was acting strangely.  The gadget was acting sluggishly and I couldn't explain why.  However, it also contains a feature to manage the Recycle Bin.  After I used it to "empty the bin" (1.5 GB, it took much longer than normal), the gadget returned to its previous quick operation.  So maybe there was some malfunction or "slowness" with the app launcher gadget that caused the problem.  Or maybe that is all hogwash since the bat file correctly responded to the shortcut even before I emptied the Recyle bin.

I'll probably never know the real reason and now I've compromised any investigation by changing more than one independent variable at once. But, as you say, at least now it is working.

I apologize for jumping to conclusions earlier.  You'd think I'd know better after 50 years of putting my foot in my mouth!

Enjoy your vacation,

Jim