News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

C Version of ExifTool libraries

Started by Rob, July 31, 2011, 04:18:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Hi,

Is there a C (or something similar) version of the ExifTool library, or would you have a problem with someone converting the Perl library to C or Java?

Thanks,

Rob.

Phil Harvey

Hi Rob,

There is no C version, but someone has managed to figure out a way to call Perl from C.  However, translating to C is a better idea if possible.  Feel free to have a go at it.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Rob

I think it will we worth doing not just for the performance improvement but because the code could then be embedded in end user apps. I'll just have to see if I can find the time.

Thanks,

Rob.

pb

Quote from: Phil Harvey on July 31, 2011, 10:20:29 AM
Hi Rob,

There is no C version, but someone has managed to figure out a way to call Perl from C.  However, translating to C is a better idea if possible.  Feel free to have a go at it.

- Phil

Hmm... Who will be responsible for making sure that changes to the Perl version are propagated to the C version?

Phil Harvey

Quote from: pb on August 26, 2011, 03:44:47 PM
Hmm... Who will be responsible for making sure that changes to the Perl version are propagated to the C version?

You are quite the optimist.  ;)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

pb

Quote from: Phil Harvey on August 28, 2011, 06:04:29 AM
Quote from: pb on August 26, 2011, 03:44:47 PM

You are quite the optimist.  ;)

- Phil

"The man who is a pessimist before forty-eight knows too much; if he is an optimist after it he knows too little"

-- Mark Twain

Phil Harvey

LOL.  I'm 49.  I guess you know where that puts me. :)

- Phil