Feature Request: Writing DV (Digital Video) metadata

Started by js29pub, August 03, 2011, 04:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

js29pub

I wanted to request a feature: Writing DV (Digital Video) metadata.

I saw that it is labelled as Read only in the Supported File Types, but tried it anyway:

exiftool -DateTimeOriginal+=3 Clip04.dv
Error: Writing of DV files is not yet supported - Clip04.dv

My main interest is in the DateTimeOriginal field, to correct situations where I had the date/time set incorrectly while recording.

Thanks.

Phil Harvey

Thanks for this suggestion, but I don't think that exiftool will be writing any video formats in the near future due to the complexity of the formats, the vast number of different video formats, and the large file size.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

js29pub

I see.  So I gather it's not as simple as just replacing a single field (which exiftool already knows how to read) with a new value and spitting out the rest of the file with identical bits?

Phil Harvey

It would be that simple if that is all exiftool did, but exiftool is designed to be much more flexible and powerful than that, and I don't like the idea of adding half-assed write support.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

js29pub

I see, makes sense to not want to do something half-baked.  Thanks.