Main Menu

adjusting time zone

Started by benosborne, October 26, 2011, 05:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benosborne

Hi there,

I've had a quick search through the forums but have not been able to find a specific answer to my question. I have been on holiday and forgotten to adjust the time zone on my camera (Nikon D7000), which has left me with incorrect date/time data - or more accurately, correct date/time data, but an incorrect time zone offset.
I can use the GUI to adjust the date/time data with a manual offset to compensate for the incorrect time zone, but this feels a bit like fixing one mistake with another mistake... I would prefer to adjust the time zone itself, and leave the time/date data alone. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help,
Ben

Phil Harvey

Hi Ben,

The answer is yes, but I can't help any further without more details about the specific tags you want to change, and what you want to change them to.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

benosborne

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the quick reply. Using the GUI, on the right hand side selecting 'ALL' tags then scrolling down, under the 'Nikon' heading there is a tag name 'Timezone'.
This is set to +10:00 (which is my home time zone in Australia), and for photos taken after I changed the in-camera setting to the local time it is +3:00, so I have a couple of weeks worth of photos that I wish to change from the former to the latter.
Hopefully that is the information you need, and thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated.

Ben

Phil Harvey

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the explanation.

If all you want to do is change this TimeZone tag, you should be able to do it using -timezone=+03:00 with the "ExifTool Direct" feature of the GUI.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

benosborne

Thanks Phil, with that and modifying the time tags it's all solved. Apologies for the simple question, and thanks for taking the time to reply.
Cheers,

Ben