Main Menu

Adding altitude information

Started by j, December 20, 2011, 01:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j

Awesome application.  I'm blown away by both ExifTool and ExifToolGUI.

I can see how to use ExifToolGUI to look up and add elevation for a single image.  I would like to be able to tell it to do the same to a group of images.  In other words, mark 10 files, tell it, "look up and add the altitude information for all the marked files".

I've looked through the tool, I've looked through the documentation, I've looked in the ExifTool documentation, and I've looked in the forums.  I have not found an answer.  It may well be that I have not looked well enough, and the answer is there.  If so, I can't find it.

Tell me, anyone, please, is it possible to tell ExifToolGUI to look up and add the altitude information for multiple files?  If not, is there by any chance some other way to do the same thing, with ExifToolGUI, ExifTool, or some other tool?

Thanks,
J

BogdanH

Hi,

The answer is so simple, that I'm not sure if I really understand the question... You wish to add GPS Altitude to multiple files at once? If that's the question, then:
1. in filelist, select files you wish to modify and then click on [ ^ ] button (bellow Exif button).
2. in Various tab, enter Altitude value and click on Save

That is, there's no difference on how many files you select

Bogdan

Phil Harvey

Quote from: BogdanH on December 20, 2011, 02:22:46 PM
1. in filelist, select files you wish to modify and then click on [ ^ ] button (bellow Exif button).

How do you select multiple files from a list in Windows?  Could this be the stumbling block?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

BogdanH

Hi Phil,
I must be missing something here for sure (must be my poor English).
What I'm talking about, is selecting multiple files in GUI's filelist window... that is, user selects multiple files the same way as in Windows Explorer... what list of files do you have in mind? And what do you mean by "stumbling block"? Sorry, but I really am confused now  :)

Bogdan

Phil Harvey

Sorry, I didn't mean to add to the confusion.

On a Mac, multiple files are selected by holding down the command button while clicking each file name with the mouse.  Or you can select multiple consecutive files by holding down the shift button while clicking.   I'm sure there must be something similar in Windows, but I just don't know without trying exactly what buttons you need to push.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

j

Wow.  You guys are awesome.  You answered so fast it makes me wish I had other questions to ask, just to get them answered.

I solved it.  It was, in fact, that easy.  In fact, I'm now scratching my head trying to figure out how I couldn't figure it out, before.  Somehow, I just never managed to bring up the edit data window for multiple files at once.  It's completely obvious and intuitive, and I just couldn't find it.

With ExifTool and ExifToolGUI, I feel like I've picked up a hand-held bevawatt laser, with focusing, range-finding, automated targeting, pre-programmed target selection, a water fountain, and a scripting language all built in.  And if I can just find the trigger, I know I'm going to shoot something.  Not sure what I'm going to shoot, but when I shoot it, it's gonna be seriously shot.  Hopefully it won't be me.  Totally awesome.  Thanks again.

Phil Harvey

Quote from: j on December 20, 2011, 03:17:25 PM
With ExifTool and ExifToolGUI, I feel like I've picked up a hand-held bevawatt laser, with focusing, range-finding, automated targeting, pre-programmed target selection, a water fountain, and a scripting language all built in.  And if I can just find the trigger, I know I'm going to shoot something.  Not sure what I'm going to shoot, but when I shoot it, it's gonna be seriously shot.  Hopefully it won't be me.  Totally awesome.  Thanks again.

LOL!  Just let me duck down here behind this brick wall... ;)

- Phil

BogdanH

j

OMG.

I DID shoot myself.

Or at least embarrass myself.  I've had ExifTool for awhile.  I've downloaded a bunch of other stuff over the last few days, including ExifToolGUI and another program called GeoSetter.  You probably know it.  Heck, you've probably had lunch with its author at some convention for mad scientists of the image metadata persuasion.   Anyway, GeoSetter uses ExifTool.  I got confused between ExifToolGUI and GeoSetter.  So, actually, my question was about GeoSetter.  Which you guys don't have anything to do with.

Here's the crazy thing.  Your help worked.  Go figure.

Thanks again.