Add new option in "Expert" list - run without duplicates being extracted

Started by roxie380, December 28, 2011, 06:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roxie380

Bogdan,

Question:  Are you running the ExifTool.exe with the -a option?  Would it be possible to add an option to run without the -a (duplicates extracted)?

The reason I ask, is that when I put items in the Custom tab, like Lens Type, or Short Focal Length, Exposure Time, etc. - I get two entries for each duplicate in the list.  I'm making the assumption that you are running the tool with the -a, allow duplicate to be extracted, and have a good reason for doing that, which is why I think being able to use the GUI without duplicates would be very useful (in Options, Preferences, Expert, etc. whatever is easiest programming).  This may also be of benefit in not having the duplicates in any of the tabs (All, Maker, etc.), not just the Custom.

If I am wrong on how the tool is being run, please let me know - and if there is already a way to get rid of the duplicates in your interface, go ahead and embarrass me.

Thanks for the continual support of this great interface.

BogdanH

Hi,

Yes, you're correct: to show metadata, GUI always uses ExifTool -a switch. My idea was, that user would like to see all existing tags (all the time) -especially when examining metadata.
Now, because your wish is really easy to implement, option to enable/disable duplicated tags, will be available in next GUI update.

Bogdan

roxie380

Bogdan,

Wow - as usual, thanks so much!

I guess I'm in the minority since I would have thought just the opposite - run without duplicates normal, and have the option to show duplicates if desired.

But, I really appreciate having the option, either way you choose.   Sort of like "Show Composite Values," "Show Duplicate Values"  (Or Don't show Duplicate Values).

Thanks very much - this will make quickly reviewing settings easier without seeing all the various duplicates.  I hope others will find this option useful as well.