Main Menu

Wishlist for v5

Started by afeininger, February 27, 2012, 01:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afeininger

Hi,
the following details should perhaps be changed for a better look and feel:

1. button positions
Nearly every GUI uses the same order of "Save" and "Cancel" buttons. "Cancel" is always the last, and I often fail when I try to save changes e. g. in the workplace manager. Could the buttons change positions?

2. different names
When I display xmp on the xmp.dc tab, the tag with the keywords is called "Subject". When I try to add a keyword, I press the "Workplace" button and don't find the word "Subject", it's called "Keywords +-".
Of course in german it's even worse, but couldn't it be the same words in english?

3. filling in multiple keywords
In workspace,  the focus should stay on the last tag that had been edited. Perhaps I want to make changes or add something.

Perhaps it's possible to give me what I want?  ;D
Thank you!

BogdanH

Hi,

On Button positions
As far I've seen, GUI is the only software which has Cancel and Save (or Execute) vertically positioned. Don't ask me why I decided doing this that way. It just happened in first GUI and I continued doing it that way. At that time, and even now, it is somehow "logical" for me, that once user finishes setting last option on the bottom of whatewer panel, he expect to see "confirmation" button (save or execute) nearby.
I don't say my reasoning is the only right... anyway, I can't remember someone would have problem with that.

Different names
Workspace is ment to be and should be redefined by user -that's it's purpose! Predefined default tags in Workspace are there only to show various possibilities of how Workspace can be customized: how to create default fill-in values, how to change displayed tag name (Subject vs Keywords case), how to create tag would accept multi-values (± case), etc. That is, you would probably like to change Keywords± to Schlüsselwörter± (is that correct translation?) -that is, change tag names to your liking!

In Workspace focus moves to next line after entering value
As it is now, this is something once a user suggested and I think one can populate tags that way faster and more comfortable than moving to next line manually. And if a mistake is made, then you only need to press Up arrow button. That's my opinion... but, to give you at least something (  :) ), I will make an option in Preferences, where you could turn this behaviour on/off.

Bogdan

afeininger

Hi,

- button positions
I don't know why, but I always have the mouse over the wrong one... I'm used to "save as" with MS Word, which is my oldest application ;-)

- different names
Am I right that the chosen language in preferences never changes the tag names in Workspace manager?

BogdanH

Hi,

As said, I agree, that they might not be on the place where expected.. but what can I do now? I mean, I can change their position very easy, but I am bit afraid someone else (who is being using GUI for a while), will wonder why's that...

In Workspace, user defines the names of the tags and they don't change if you switch language. Think of Workspace as your Workspace.

Bogdan