Misc: ExifTool_config and unknown tag name

Started by Thomas, March 06, 2012, 02:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thomas

Hi, Phil,

I really enjoy using ExifTool. Just in case it may be of interest: I downloaded the sample config file and used it without any change (besides renaming it). Using it I got an error message in the form of "unterminated <> operator at F:\path\exiftool\.ExifTool_config line 1.". I know there is no 1; missing at the end of the file but I could not sort out what to do. I then just "reduced" the config file to a shortcut statement I wanted to use and it worked fine.

Also, I used the -G0:1 option. In the case of the field XMP:xmp-microsoft:RatingPercent that resulted in an error message "unknown tag name". The -G1 option (xmp-microsoft:RatingPercent) worked without any problem.

Thomas

Phil Harvey

Hi Thomas,

Something very funny is going on.

Where did you get the config file?  Line 1 of the config file should be a comment.

What version of exiftool are you using?  The -G0:1 feature was added quite a while ago.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Thomas

Hi, Phil,

I got the config file from the FAQ website (FAQ 11, i.e. https://exiftool.org/config.html).

Concerning the unknown tag name: Sorry, I forgot to mention that the error message occured when importing a csv file that contained a column named XMP:xmp-microsoft:RatingPercent: So the extraction with the -G0:1 option worked well while importing resulted in the mentioned error message.

Thomas

Phil Harvey

Hi Thomas,

I still don't understand the error with -G0:1, but this option is not meaningful when writing information.

But I understand the config file problem... If you copied and pasted the config.html web page in HTML format, you may get the errors you mentioned.  You should copy and save the plain text.  But even better, it is safer to download the full exiftool distribution (the .tar.gz version), and get the ExifTool_config file from there.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Thomas

Hi, Phil,

sorry for being so late. I still get the -csv import problem when I use the tag names I got from a G0:1 export, but anyhow: It works very fine for me with the G1 option. I just thought I'd mention it and now I should not make excessively demands on your time. :-)

Thanks for explaining the config point to me! I will observe your instructions.

Thomas

Phil Harvey

Hi Thomas,

Thanks.  I understand now.  You used -G0:1 when generating the CSV file.  You're right, this will cause an error when you try to write this information.  When writing, there are restrictions on the group names you can use -- you may use only a family 0 or a family 1 group name, not both.

So using -G1 when extracting was the correct thing to do.

- Phil