News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Getting XMP from DNG files for use in Lightroom 4

Started by Rukes, March 29, 2012, 08:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rukes

I have some DNG files I made with ACR 6.7 while I waited for my camera's RAW files to be supported in Lightroom 4. Now that they are, I want to keep the original RAW files and extract the metadata from the DNG file to XMP, so I can pair those up and get rid of the DNG's.

However when I try to put the DNG in ExifTool, it outputs an XMP, but only a few of the Develop settings saved in the metadata carry over or are read by the XMP. I'm not sure how to get around it, or if it's a bug..., it seems to just not be able to save the Lightroom PV 2012 develop metadata from the DNG to the XMP (although earlier ones like PV 20120 are saved to the XMP just fine). So if I load up the XMP with the CR2, it applies just the compatible 2010 develop metadata, while the 2012 data is left at default.

Is this something that needs to be supported in ExifTool? I do get this error when I make the XMP, not sure if it has anything to do with it:
"Warning: Ignoring 1 SubIFD directories"

Phil Harvey

If there are XMP-crss settings that you want saved, exiftool doesn't currently write these individually.  So the only way to do this is to copy the XMP as a block:

exiftool -xmp -b -w xmp FILE

This extracts the XMP in its original format.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Rukes