Main Menu

Delete one metadata

Started by sogen, April 25, 2012, 04:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sogen

Hi,  I just joined...Installed the standalone version of Exif Tool.  Would like to know how I can delete "Focus distance" metadata. 

Win 7, Canon 7D, 500mm, French speaking... :)

Phil Harvey

You can't delete individual makernote tags.  Either delete the entire maker notes:

exiftool -makernotes:all= some.jpg

or set the focus distance tags to 0:

exiftool -FocusDistanceUpper=0 -FocusDistanceLower=0 some.jpg

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

sogen

Sorry, but I do not understand much about "computer gibberish".  As I drag my image in ExifTool, I find all the datas , but I do not kmow how to set the focus distance to 0, no reaction when I click FocusDistanceUpper FocusDistanceLower.

Thanks in advance for trying to help

Sogen

Phil Harvey

Are you using ExifToolGUI?  If so, you should ask the question in that section of the forum.

If you're not using the GUI, then you must type the commands I mentioned in the cmd.exe window.

Tell me how you are running ExifTool to see this information.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

sogen

Phil, I downloaded exiftool(-k).exe

Phil Harvey

OK, then you should install this for command-line use as per the Windows installation instructions

After doing this, select "Run..." from the Start menu, and run "cmd.exe".

In the black cmd.exe window, type the exiftool command, followed by RETURN.

The only trick is in specifying the directory for the image file.  It may be easiest of you make a directory c:\images and put it in there.  Then the command would look like this:

exiftool -FocusDistanceUpper=0 -FocusDistanceLower=0 c:\images\some.jpg

- Phil

sogen

I first deleted previous installations of the program.

After reinstalling the program on my desktop :  In the start menu I ran cmd.exe and entered exiftool(-k).exe .  I get this message :  Exiftool(-k).exe is not recognized as an intern or extern command, a executable or a command file. (Free translation, because I am French speaking)

I also tried entering "exiftool-8.89.zip and got the same message.

Phil Harvey

You didn't follow the installation instructions for use on the command line.

- Phil

pb

Ok, we all know Phil has the patience of Job.

But, I will try to save you trying to re-understand the installation instructions.

1.  You need to rename exiftool(-k).exe to something else, preferably exiftool.exe.
2.  Either the exiftool.exe (or whatever you named it) has to be in your PATH, or you need to enter the full path name of the file to the command processor (the prompt you get running cmd.exe)

Alternately, you can drag and drop the exiftool.exe from an explorer window showing it in a directory listing into the cmd window.

--peter

sogen

Phil Harvey

Thanks Peter,

I didn't realize that you could drag and drop into the cmd window.  I knew this worked on a Mac, but I hadn't tried it on a PC.  I just tried it now and it works great.  This is useful.

- Phil