News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Import GPS error

Started by Alan, June 04, 2012, 06:02:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

I am attempting to import GPS data exported from another tool into GPX files.  I'm following the steps in the GUI help for importing log files, but am getting the attached message.  This worked with previous versions of GUI/ExifTool, but I assume I'm doing something wrong.  Please help.

BogdanH

Hi alan,

The two menu option for importing GPS data are ment for importing data from log (or xmp) files into image files. That is, for geo-tagging image files. There's no option in GUI to create GPX file.
To do what you want, you would need to use ExifTool directly. I don't know the commands right now, but I remember these things have been discussed in this forum -or Phil will direct you to documentations/examples.

Bogdan

Phil Harvey

Hi Bogdan,

It sounds like Alan may want to simply geotag images from a GPX log.  Can this be done in ExifToolGUI?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Alan

Sorry if I wasn't clear.  I first exported .GPX log files from my GPS logger utility and put them in a folder (I att. one of these). Then, using the ExifToolGUI "Import data from log files"  feature (see att), I tried to import the GPS info into one or more images selected first.  That generated the No File Specified error.  This worked fine last July with the then-current versions. 

BogdanH

Hi,

Thanks for clarifying Phil.
Ehm.. yes there's a tinny bug in GUI (that's why ExifTool reports "No files.." error). I've allready corrected that.

Now I need a little help from you Phil. Just to tryout, I took three "test" jpg files, where I've set DateTimeOriginal to exactly the same values as they appear at the beginning of Alan's GPX file:

<time>2012-05-20T18:32:10Z</time> ---> 2012:05:20 18:32:10 -file1.jpg
<time>2012-05-20T18:32:16Z</time> ---> 2012:05:20 18:32:16 -file2.jpg
<time>2012-05-20T18:32:21Z</time> ---> 2012:05:20 18:32:21 -file3.jpg

-btw, no other DateTime related metadata is inside jpg files.
Command executed (inside GUI) is:
exiftool -geotag test.gpx -geotime<DateTimeOriginal file1.jpg

After executing ExifTool reports:
Nothing changed in file1.jpg
    0 image files updated
    1 image files unchanged
Warning: Time is too far before track in File:Geotime (ValueConvInv) - file1.jpg
Warning: No writable tags set from file1.jpg

At the time of creating geotag option for GUI, I've only tried with nmea file and at that time, everything worked (I didn't use geotagging since then).
Why I get above message? I mean, DateTimeOriginal values inside jpg is exactly the same as inside gpx file.

Bogdan

Phil Harvey

Hi Bogdan,

The problem is that DateTimeOriginal is in your local timezone, but the GPX times are in UTC.

Add "-geotime<$datetimeoriginal+00:00"  to the command to override the default and specify UTC for the Geotime value.

Either that, or adjust DateTimeOriginal to be in your time zone.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

BogdanH

Oh man.. dementia -I should start reading my own GUI manual :-[

Yes, it works. Thank you  :)

Bogdan

Phil Harvey

LOL.  That's actually why I wrote my ExifTool documentation -- so I can remember how it works!! :)

- Phil

BogdanH

Alan,
New GUI v5.14 is ready for download. Thank you for reporting the bug.

Bogdan

Alan

As usual, you guys are awesome.  Thanks for fixing the bug so quick!  GPS import works perfectly!