Previous topic - Next topic

gwegner

Hi Phil,
I call the following parameters by piping it directly into exiftool:

-b\n
-jpgfromraw\n
C:\Users\gwegner\Desktop\test blöde dng\_MG_1676.dng\n
-execute\n

Without any special characters like the "ö" above everything works, I can read the jpg preview from the input stream.
But as soon as the special char is included it doesn't work anymore. Any idea?

Thank you very much
Gunther

Phil Harvey

In general, ExifTool does not work with special characters in file names.  This is a known problem with no easy solution.  There are a few threads discussing this problem.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

gwegner

Hi Phil, thank you for your swift reply. I did some more investigations. I thought I was intended to pipe the stream as UTF 8, but that didn't work. Now I tried ISO-8859-1 - that seems to work. At least on windows. I will have to test it on mac this evening.

Phil Harvey

On Mac there is no problem with special characters in file names.  The standard C libraries use UTF-8 for file names on Mac/Linux.  Heaven only knows why Microsoft doesn't do this.  You say it works with ISO-8859-1 on your Windows system, but this success will depend on your system settings, and may not work on other Windows systems.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).