Nikon D800 NEFs ==> SubIFD Tags corrupted ==> Rewrite possible?

Started by spark, June 29, 2012, 11:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

banjoinn

Correction - 520 Mb when in FX format, 232 Mb in DX format. I can put them on an ftp site if that's the easiest way to transfer them.

Phil Harvey

Whatever is best for you.  My mail can easily take files of this size (one per email).

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

Thanks, I got the files.  If all goes well, my hope is to have a new version of fix_corrupted_nef that will handle D800 DX images ready for Monday.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Phil Harvey

I have just released a new version of the fix_corrupted_nef utility that will fix these D800 DX images.

- Phil

Cloudbuster5

I have this problem with the pictures I took while on a trip. I sent you a link to the photos. Anything you can do will be appreciated. The camera is a D3200. Thanks,
Van

Phil Harvey

Darn.  Are you telling me this problem (downloading with Nikon transfer 1) affects D3200 NEF's too?  :(

If so, I will need a full set of sample NEF's to add support for this model (see this post for the required samples).

I can't take a look at the images until tomorrow, but if this is the problem then you can speed things along by sending me these samples (you can mail them to philharvey66 at gmail.com).

- Phil

Edit:  I've taken a look at your image, and it does look like a typical Nikon-Transfer-1-corrupted NEF.  I can add support for the D3200 if you send me the full set of test images that I mentioned.

Cloudbuster5

The camera only shoots one kind of raw. From the spec: Compressed 12-bit NEF (RAW)
JPEG: JPEG-Baseline Compliant with fine (approx 1:4), Normal (approx 1:8) or Basic (approx 1:16) Compression
NEF (RAW) + JPEG: Single Photograph Recorded in both NEF (RAW) and JPEG Formats

I updated the view nx and tranfer when I got home, so I can't make anymore corrupt files. I can send raw files from the newest transfer program.

Thanks, Van

Phil Harvey

Hi Van,

OK, thanks.  So the sample you already sent covers the full set of NEF file types. :)

I'll get working on adding support for the D3200 then, and I'll post back here when I have something (probably a day or two).

- Phil

Phil Harvey

There you go.  I have uploaded fix_corrupted_nef version 1.4 that adds support for the D3200.

- Phil

j_p

Hi Phil,

I´ve got a Problem with the RAW files of the D800E. I´ve downloaded the RAW files directly from the CF Card and opened it with an old version of CaptureNX 2, it´s V2.0.0, to edit the RAW files.
CaptureNX 2 overrided the original RAW file. Now I have an RAW file with the dimensions 1632 x 1080 pixel. I can open it in any RAW converter but only with this dimensions. After i processed it with the fix_corrupted_nef.pl I can display the file in ViewNX 2 but I can´t convert it. I can´t open the processed file in any other RAW programm.

Thanks for your help!

Jonas
Modify message

Phil Harvey

Hi Jonas,

Could you send me one of the files (before you ran fix_corrupted_nef on it)?  My email is philharvey66 at gmail.com

- Phil

Phil Harvey

Hi Jonas,

I got your image.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but the raw data in the image you sent looks to be corrupted beyond repair.

Somehow it looks like the Nikon Capture program confused the RAW data with the preview image and stored a JPEG preview over top of the raw data in this file.

I don't see anything in there that looks like good raw data any more.  Sorry.  The only thing you can do with this file is to recover the 1632x1080 JPEG preview:

exiftool -jpgfromraw -w _preview.jpg FILE

where FILE is one or more file and/or directory names.

- Phil

Djovetta

Hi Phil, 

It's really great to see the comments on the forum, I figure my issue is a little bit more complicated but I still have hope.
My NEF files was corrupted by a brand new crap Sandisk Extreme Pro SD. After taking approximated 200 photos , the camera showed a message of error. After that, the SD does not work any more.

I used RescuePro (a Sandisk program) to download the files to my computer. But now I only can see the photos as a preview but the raw file is corrupted and I can't open it on aperture/Mac preview/viewNx 2.

I would like to know if you have ever seen this situation and if you can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Danilo

Phil Harvey

Hi Danilo,

Take a look at the image using the Exiftool -htmldump feature:

exiftool -htmldump image.nef > out.html

You take a look at the raw image data this way.  I have seen cases where it is all zeros, which is bad, and not recoverable.  Or ends with all zeros, which means that at least some of the data was lost.

- Phil

TofuCivic

Hi Phil,

I also have fallen into the same trap of transferring my D7100 photos with Nikon Transfer 1.  I seem to be able view the raws in ViewNX 1 and 2, but nothing else.  Have you had any requests to add support for the D7100?  I've got some photos of my newborn that I'm hoping I can still recover.  Stumbling onto this forum has given me some hope :)

Thanks in advance, your help is very much appreciated.
How