WebP-Support / webpmux

Started by crueger, July 25, 2012, 08:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crueger

It would be a good feature if ExifTool could directly write XMP-Data to .webp files. The definition of the container format and tools are now in the repositories https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/download.

For example, by now you have to do this to copy metadata into a new created .webp-file:

exiftool -Tagsfromfile picture1.jpg metadata1.xmp
webpmux -set xmp metadata1.xmp picture1.webp -o picture1container.webp

Thanks

Phil Harvey

Adding write support is often a lot of work, but I'll look into this.

Thanks for the suggestion.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

rodertroy

This thread was 8 years ago. Any plans for supporting write support for webp images? If not is there some hack that can be used to add write support, or another program you'd recommend that provides write support?

Issue addressed here as well: https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=5373.0

Phil Harvey

This is currently on my to-do list, but it has fallen to item number 193. :(  So it isn't likely that ExifTool will have this ability soon.

I'm not an expert in other software, so I can't help there.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

rodertroy

Phil Harvey

Do you have any WebP samples containing EXIF and XMP metadata?

- Phil

rodertroy

Yes, with Exiv2 I'm able to write Exif data to many webp images. I haven't tried writing data to xmp.

Using the following bash script to add data to the user comment tag:

#!/bin/bash

echo "Please type title and press enter"
read conch

if [ -z "$conch" ]; then
printf "no caption was selected, aborting!\n"
exit 1
fi
printf "conch is $conch\n"

exiv2 -M'set Exif.Photo.UserComment charset=Ascii '$conch'' *.webp

done

Phil Harvey

That would require that I install exiv2. :(

- Phil

Phil Harvey

I'm working on adding WebP write support to ExifTool 12.46.  See this post for more information.

- Phil