Command with "status 5" and appcrash with "error code 5"

Started by orw, September 17, 2012, 08:20:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orw

Hi Phil,

I'm trying to export metadata from about 380,000 images by using R to call ExifTool. The script I'm running has worked fine until now, but this is the largest number of images I've given it so far (previously worked on ~100,000 images fine). After a few hours, Windows informed me that ExifTool had crashed and R output some messages it presumably got from ExifTool:

In addition: Warning messages:
1: running command 'C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c exiftool -r -csv "F:\Camera Trap Photos" > "C:/Users/Ollie/Desktop/image_metadata_ALL(170912).csv"' had status 5
2: In shell(paste("exiftool -r -csv ", "\"", paste(image.dir), "\"",  :
  'exiftool -r -csv "F:\Camera Trap Photos" > "C:/Users/Ollie/Desktop/image_metadata_ALL(170912).csv"' execution failed with error code 5

Any help on what these statuses and/or error codes mean would be great. I had a hunt around your documentation and FAQs, as well as searching on this forum to no avail. Sorry if I missed something obvious.

Is it a memory issue can you tell?

Many thanks,
Oliver

PS This is the line of code in question:
shell(paste("exiftool -r -csv ", "\"", paste(image.dir), "\"", " > \"C:/Users/Ollie/Desktop/", filename, ".csv", "\"", sep=""))

PPS I'm using: Windows Vista, ~2GB of available RAM (since 32-bit), ExifTool v8.68

Phil Harvey

Is this problem fixed with the current version of ExifTool (9.02)?

Problems like this are almost always memory issues, and there have been some memory improvements recently.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).