Main Menu

Gain Control

Started by rnwl, October 22, 2012, 05:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rnwl

Hi,

Does anyone know of any reason why 'Gain Control', 'Contrast', 'Saturation', 'Sharpness' and 'Subject Distance Range' only show on some of my photos EXIF data and not on others?

I'm only really interested in the 'Gain Control' one.

Thank you,

Becky.

Phil Harvey

Hi Becky,

GainControl is a relatively uncommon EXIF tag.  I would imagine that only very few cameras write this information.  But if you find a camera that does, it should write it to all of its images.  However, editing with the image with some software may delete this information.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

rnwl

Hi Phil,

Thank you for the reply.

I haven't edited any photos, it just seems that when the camera is plugged in the EXIF data saying 'Gain Control' doesn't show, but if I put them on a memory card and import them it shows up on the EXIF.

Any ideas why it would do that? I would of thought that it would show up on all or none, too!

Becky.

Phil Harvey

Hi Becky,

When you plug your camera in, what software do you use to download the picture?  It sounds like this software doesn't write the GainControl information.  Some software used to download images from the camera can mess with the metadata.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).