Previous topic - Next topic

Mischiman

for example:

Lens                            : 24.0 - 105.0 mm
Lens ID                         : Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS
Scale Factor To 35 mm Equivalent: 1.6
Circle Of Confusion             : 0.019 mm
Field Of View                   : 23.6 deg
Focal Length                    : 55.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 86.0 mm)
Hyperfocal Distance             : 19.68 m
Lens                            : 24.0 - 105.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 37.5 - 164.2 mm)

This can easily be approved with just a exiftool <image>, also with the jpegs on the canon sample picture website.

Is that already known?

Best regards,

Michael

Phil Harvey

I hadn't noticed this, but you're right, the 1DX stores an incorrect EXIF focal plane resolution:

> exiftool ../pics/CanonEOS-1D* -focalplanexresolution -model -T
3957.716702 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III
3512.195122 Canon EOS-1D Mark III
3512.195122 Canon EOS-1D Mark III
3098.143236 Canon EOS-1D Mark II N
3098.143236 Canon EOS-1D Mark II N
3795.348837 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
3795.348837 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
5728.176796 Canon EOS-1D X
5728.176796 Canon EOS-1D X

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Mischiman

I don't know exactly what "focal plane resolution" is for but I understand this is an Canon issue, am I correct?

Michael

Phil Harvey

Hi Michael,

The FocalPlaneXResolution is given in pixels per inch, and represents the horizontal spacing of the pixels of the camera imaging sensor.  It is a definite bug in the IDX firmware if this is wrong.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Mischiman

Hi Phil,

today I got a reply from Canon telling that the show Focal Plane X/Y Resolution values for the 1D-X are unkown to them and that tools like your great exiftool might interpret the data wrong.  ;)

Therefore, one shoot use the Canon DPP which does the job correct as they guarantee ;D or ry other tools which might work correct. ;)

To me the answer is as expected, what do you think about it?

Michael

Phil Harvey

Hi Michael,

Yes.  Unfortunately it isn't surprising that the Canon customer representatives don't know what they are talking about.

We are talking about standard EXIF information here.

But I did notice that they made similar mistakes in early firmware versions of some other models, so there is hope that this will get fixed for the 1DX in a firmware update.

- Phil

Mike Connell

Hi!  I don't mean to hijack this thread/question but was curious if this issue with the 1DX would also cause the following:

Warning:  Unrecognized CameraInfo1DX Firmware version - filename.ext

It does create xmps though so I don't know if this is an issue or not.

Feel free to move this (or I can) to it's own thread if that is more appropriate.

Warmly,

Mike Connell

Phil Harvey

Hi Mike,

Thanks for this report.

If you see this warning then it is likely that some makernote information won't be decoded properly, but this doesn't affect any of the standard EXIF like the FocalPlaneResolution tags.

But I would like to add support for this firmware version.  Could you be so kind as to mail me an original sample (philharvey66 at gmail.com)?  Thanks.

- Phil

Phil Harvey

Hi Mike,

I got the sample, thanks.  ExifTool 9.18 will recognize this version of the 1DX firmware, and will fix this warning.

- Phil

MacMike

It is the same on a 5D. I have also opened a support call to Canon. I wonder whether you have heard anything from them since February, or have discovered how they are setting their FocalPlaneResolution fields?

(EXIF data suggests sensor size is larger than quoted: Effective Pixel Resolution is 5760 x 3840 Focal Plane Resolution is X:3942 ppi and Y:3950ppi This implies an effective sensor size of 37.1 x 24.7mm and not the quoted 36 x 24mm )

Phil Harvey

Hi Mike,

Sorry, there has been no additional insight into this Canon quirk.

- Phil