Multiple tries at renaming a file.

Started by calberga, April 15, 2013, 11:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calberga

Another puzzling error message:

Snippet form .args file:

-Keywords=("Alberga, Cyril Oswald" 26292 11376 39632 21706):("Alberga, Florence Winferd" 48633 20618 61326 30488):("Ansell, Florence Winferd" 48633 20618 61326 30488)
D:/P/Working/$kwt02347.jpg
-execute
-filename<comment
D:/P/Working/$kwt02347.jpg
-execute

Warning message:

It took 10 tries to rename D:/P/Working/$kwt02347.jpg

I actually got this on four files.

Note that this is involved with the problem of accented characters, in that the program that constructs the .args list renames the files to the sort of thing you are seeing here.  I have run the following:

exiftool "-comment<$directory/$filename" -overwrite_original -r -P "D:/p/photographs/"

(and keep it up-to-date when I move or rename files).

One thing just occurred to me, I have a background defraging program, Diskkeeper.  I wonder if there could be some interference with that.

Phil Harvey

Cool!  This is the first report I have had that this patch is working!

I added a patch a while back because I had received a "error renaming" reports from Windows users.  My guess was that some anti-virus software was effectively implementing a denial of service attack on ExifTool (see here for example), so I added a patch to keep trying if the first rename failed.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

calberga

Here you can enjoy four reports of your patch working!

It took 2 tries to rename D:/P/Working/$kwt01962.jpg
It took 10 tries to rename D:/P/Working/$kwt02347.jpg
It took 7 tries to rename D:/P/Working/$kwt02356.jpg
It took 2 tries to rename D:/P/Working/$kwt02362.jpg

Good job!

Phil Harvey

Nice, thanks.  Just FYI, ExifTool waits 1/100 sec between attempts.  So 10 retries is 0.1 sec.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

I've seen this happen when Geosetter was writing out changes and Picasa was running in the background.  Picasa seems to detect file changes and will update very quickly.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).