Feature request: Original tag aliases

Started by Geestarraw, August 02, 2013, 04:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geestarraw

Hi!

First of all thanks for a great software! :D Just recently stumbled into what seems to be a bug in Windows causing it to be unable to set the Exif time when a photo was taken, only the date. After searching for good Exif editors ExifTool (together with ExifToolGUI) was the one that solved my problems and also seems like a very competent program. :)

The problem I stumbled upon when using ExifTool was the alias "CreateDate" for the Exif tag "DateTimeDigitized". It took me some time to figure out the new name as all other Exif viewers name this tag as DateTimeDigitized. Would it be possible for ExifTool to come with a alias for this tag (and maybe others) with its correct specification name to help avoiding the confusion?

From what I understand the purpose of the ExifTool's internal alias is to keep a common name for the attribute across different meta data types(?) but still having the original name as an included alias would be of great value.

Phil Harvey

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately this won't work because there is already an existing DateTimeDigitized tag that the alias would obscure.  (This is the XMP-exif:DateTimeDigitized, which I realize is ironic because this is the XMP counterpart to ExifTool's EXIF:CreateDate, but for right or wrong I made the choice long ago to call it CreateDate to correspond with the preferred XMP tag for storing this information: XMP-xmp:CreateDate.)

- Phil

Edit: Fixed typo
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Geestarraw