Issues with adding the Model Tag

Started by markm, September 14, 2013, 05:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markm

I am using exiftool to add data to scanned images from film. I am having issues with the Model tag on some files.
I use the following process to tag my files.

I place all files in a directory, and use another tool (Zonerama) to rename them using the scan date for the name.
Next I run a series of batch files to tag the files with the relevant data. Usually one file for the camera, one for the lens and one for the film. The following examples would tag a image with a Nikon FE, with a 50MM lens and ISO 200 film. I use a variety of lens, film and camera, so this works well for me.
exiftool -make=NIKON -model=FE C:\Users\markm\Pictures\sort\*.jpg
exiftool -"FocalLength=50 mm" -"Lens=50mm f/1.8 Ai-S" C:\Users\markm\Pictures\sort\*.jpg
exiftool -ISO=200 C:\Users\markm\Pictures\sort\*.jpg

What I have found is that the model tag is not always applied. This is true for files that I scan and from CD's provided with film processing. (multiple sources)
If I apply the model tag by itself, (make tag excluded) it is also not applied.

If I modify the file in first Zonerama, AFTER the make tag is applied, then the model tag will take.
I have tested this with adjusting the rotation of the file, and adjusting the exposure. But in order for the adjustment to allow the model tag, it has to happen after the make tag is applied.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

My computer runs Windows 7 x64.

I am attaching a file that would not allow the model tag, I am also attaching the a file after it was edited in zonerama, and then re-tagged with the model.

markm

Oopps forgot console output and version.  I also included a dir to show the file dated is updated and a backup is created, but no changes are made.

C:\Users\markm\Pictures\misc>exiftool -ver

C:\Users\markm\Pictures\misc>exiftool -model=FE 2013_09_08_FE_021.jpg
    1 image files updated

09/14/2013  02:10 PM         1,140,712 2013_09_08_FE_021.jpg
09/08/2013  08:44 PM         1,140,712 2013_09_08_FE_021.jpg_original

Phil Harvey

I'm confused.  The file you posted (2013_09_08_FE_025.jpg) already has Make/Model = NIKON/FE.

I'm guessing this is FAQ 3.

But if you have a file that a specific command doesn't work with, let me know and i'll try to reproduce the problem.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

markm

I was bugged after I submitted the post that I did not check the output via exiftool on my sample files.
It turns out that the problem lies in the application I am using to manage photos. Zonerama. The tag is written to the file, but the application that I am using does not display the tag, unless I modify the file first. Windows file properties, properly shows the tags.

Sorry for the runaround, and thank you for checking.

Mark