Copying makernotes - again #2

Started by herb, November 29, 2013, 03:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

herb

Hello Phil,

In a thread - "Copying makernotes - again"
https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php/topic,4562.msg21725.html#msg21725
started in November 2012 we discussed how to copy makernotes.
I learned that makernotes itself and also the tags make and model belong together and I am sure that at that time makernotes could only be copied together with -make and -model.

By accident some days ago I have seen that with version 9.41 (on a Windows XP system) makernotes can be copied without make and model.
The solution in version 9.41 is the one I ever wanted to have.
Because I did not recognize that change in your histories I would like to ask whether it is the correct behaviour or is it an error?

Thanks for your help again.
Best regards
Herb

Phil Harvey

Hi Herb,

You still need to copy the Make and Model.  While it is true that ExifTool will recognize some maker notes without these, it won't work for all makes and models.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

herb

Hello Phil,

thanks for your quick reply.

Is there a golden rule in order to decide which makernotes might be copied without Make and Model?
I am astonished because today I can copy the Olympus makernotes without Make and Model and one year ago it was not possible for identical images.

Thanks and best regards
Herb

Phil Harvey

Hi Herb,

Interesting, because I don't think that I changed anything in the Olympus MakerNotes recognition within the last couple of years.

You can look at the MakerNote.pm module to see how the recognition is done.  Any tag with $$self{Make} or $$self{Model} in the Condition statement requires this information.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

herb

Hello Phil,

thanks for telling me all the details.

One year ago I was working with images of various manufactures - Canon, Olympus, Panasonic and other.
Now I understand the problems I had copying MakerNotes e.g. from a *.jpg file into a *.mie or *.exif file or copying the Makernotes back into the image file.
One year ago it seemed to be a miracle - now it is clear.

Thanks and best regards
Herb