Write Tags with -mwg

Started by ame, February 04, 2014, 08:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ame

Hi,

Exiftool version 9.48

I created 3 new files in Photoshop and saved them in PSD, TIF and JPG

I have write Description Tag with exiftool using:

exiftool -mwg:Description='Bla bla bla' /Users/adminosx/Desktop/test.jpg (and the same for other TIF and PSD)

According to MWG documentation:
http://www.exiftool.org/TagNames/MWG.html

In my mind writing one field "Description" exiftool should update and sync all 3 fields:
EXIF:ImageDescription
IPTC:Caption-Abstract
XMP-dc:Description

Reading the documentation of mwg it should write all 3 possible fields:
But when I inspect the "touched" files with exiftool with this command that generate a text file:

exifool /Users/adminosx/Desktop/test.jpg >jpg.txt

I see that only "Image Description" and "Description" have been written (this for both 3 files)

Where I'm wrong?

And about:
CurrentIPTCDigest
IPTCDigest

I need to "think" to them or they are automatically updated by exiftool?

The alternative without use mwg is to write the 3 fields right? And in this case what I can do with the digests?

Ame

Phil Harvey

Hi Ame,

To quote the documentation:

When writing, the appropriate associated tags are written. The value of the
        IPTCDigest tag is updated automatically when the IPTC is changed if either
        the IPTCDigest tag didn't exist beforehand or its value agreed with the
        original IPTC digest (indicating that the XMP is synchronized with the
        IPTC). IPTC information is written only if the original file contained IPTC.

Doesn't this answer both of your questions?

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ame

Hi Phil,

I have don't understand why the field IPTC:Caption-Abstract is not written.

About digests the values are automatically updated with or without -mwg?

Ame - Stefano

Phil Harvey

Quote from: ame on February 04, 2014, 08:46:49 AM
I have don't understand why the field IPTC:Caption-Abstract is not written.

IPTC information is written only if the original file contained IPTC.

QuoteAbout digests the values are automatically updated with or without -mwg?

Updating associated tags is not automatic.  This is only done when writing some writable Composite tags, such as these MWG tags, and then only the named "Derived From" tags may be updated.

Basically, ExifTool only writes what you tell it.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ame

Thanks Phil,

Sorry but I'm not expert like you on various tags name... ;-)

OK Understood why Caption-Abstract was not present on the new images. In the meantime I executed some test and this is confirmed.

So if I want to be sure that all 3 fields but be written everytime the only solution is to write them without -mwg I think.

Ame

Phil Harvey

Quote from: ame on February 04, 2014, 09:06:06 AM
So if I want to be sure that all 3 fields but be written everytime the only solution is to write them without -mwg I think.

There are lots of solutions.  You could add -codedcharacterset=utf8 to your command for example, to make sure that IPTC is created.

- Phil

ame