News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Export geatagging (EXIF-)info from .jpg to .xmp: ?

Started by zyx_Ex, March 01, 2014, 09:27:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zyx_Ex

I use the latest available Version of ExifToolGUI (5.15) and the latest ExifTool (9.53).
My Geotagger supports only addition of info to .jpg files, so I would need to copy the geo-information to a (new) .xmp file in order to have it available (maybe) for use with raw files (.CR2). But 'Export metadata into' ... 'XMP files' results in an XMP file without any geo-information (size; 356 bytes), while exporting to .TXT or .HTML produces a wealth of entries (15909, 82181 bytes).
I know you cannot give support for ExifToolGUI, but
- does anyone know of some preferences in ExifToolGUI one would need to set for .XMP files ?
- what would be the command line parameters of ExifTool for exporting EXIF-info into .XMP files ?

Phil Harvey

I can't help with the GUI, but this exiftool command will create an XMP sidecar from GPS information in another file:

exiftool -o %d%f.xmp "-gps*" FILE

Where FILE is one or more file and/or directory names.  To limit the command to extracting from CR2 files only, add -ext CR2 to the command.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

zyx_Ex

Thanks very much for this ultra-rapid reply. Needless to say it does the trick ...