News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

-w giving '0 output files created'

Started by MikeHardman, March 19, 2014, 11:54:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeHardman

My first post, and I have to prefix everything with my extreme thanks, Phil, for a fantastic tool!

ExifTool does the metadata updates I expect, but
I can't capture the '-progress' and general status information that normally appears on the console...

Switches (this is running under WindowsXP):
"D:\test" -xmp:City="Goudi" -progress -w+ console.txt 

Console display:
======== D:/test/_DSC6930.JPG [1/3]
======== D:/test/_DSC6931.JPG [2/3]
======== D:/test/_DSC6932.JPG [3/3]
    1 directories scanned
    3 image files updated
    0 output files created

Same result if I use just the basic -w txt.
I can get output files only if I include -verbose. But that is not that output I want to capture.

I also tried suffixing > console.txt to the whole command line,
but that does nothing.

I hope you good folks can enlighten me!

Mike

Phil Harvey

Hi Mike,

It really should work with this command:

exiftool "D:\test" -xmp:City="Goudi" -progress > console.txt

The problem may be how you are running the command.  For the redirection to work, it needs to be via a command shell.  If you are executing the command from another program you typically need to handle the pipes yourself.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

MikeHardman

Thanks Phil.

I was running it through ExifMixer.
When I ran it from a BAT file, output was captured as expected.
ExifMixer has an option to untick 'Capture Console Output', but that does't help.
And any pipe/redirect/parenthesis controls inserted into the command line are not interpreted as expected by ExifMixer :(

I guess I could use a BAT file as a wrapper for ExifMixer.exe, call that BAT file from ExifMixer, and parse the command line in the BAT file before letting ExifMixer at it.

Cheers,
Mike