News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

C++ Interface Installation

Started by Kate, May 12, 2014, 12:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kate

Hi all,

I am just starting out using C++ and am wanting to utilize the exiftool functionality.

The installation page says the following:
"The download package contains the source code for the C++ interface for ExifTool, plus a few example programs. Unpack and type "make" to compile the example programs."

I have downloaded the package but I get stuck on the "Unpack and type "make" to compile the example programs" part.

Does anyone know where to unpack the files and where to type 'make'?

Kate

Phil Harvey

Hi Kate,

What system are you using?  Do you have the "make" utility installed?

If so, unpack the source code anywhere, then "cd" to the unpacked "cpp_exiftool" directory and type "make" from there.

When you said "where", I was assuming you meant "in what directory".  If, instead, you meant "in what window do I type this", then this is done in a Mac Terminal window, or a Windows cmd.exe window.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Kate

Hi Phil,

I'm using Windows 7.
I don't think I've successfully installed the 'make' utility. I had some errors appear which indicated I didn't have Perl installed. Some Google searching led me to type 'cpan' into command line to install Active Perl. I then tried running the test available on the install page from the exiftool website (below):

perl Makefile.PL
    make test
    sudo make install

At first it appears to be working but then I'm getting the same error that says 'make' is not recognised as a command (see attached: window-1.gif).
I did a bit more reading and found that there were a few forums which suggested typing in 'dmake' instead. So I did what you suggested previously and used "cd" to access where I saved the cpp_exiftool folder and typed "dmake". This time I got a different error about there being more than one prerequisite for %-target (see attached: window-2.gif).
This is the point where I get stuck again.
Any further guidance about what to try next would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kate

Phil Harvey

Hi Kate,

It may take some work to get the cpp_exiftool interface compiled and running in your environment.  What C++ compiler do you have?  What development environment are you using?  I don't have much Windows experience so I'm not sure if I can help much.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Kate

Hi Phil,

I'm using DevC++ as my compiler.
I am certainly realising that this isn't going to be simple. There seems to be so many different components to install and make sure are in the right location. I think I'll just have to keep mucking around with it and see what I can come up with.

Thanks for your help anyway.
Kate