ie bug in documentation

Started by Alan Clifford, June 03, 2014, 05:45:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Clifford

QuoteIt is often preferable to specify a directory name (ie ".") instead of using wildcards (ie "*.*") for a number of reasons:

Shouldn't that be e.g.

Phil Harvey

Hi Alan,

Wow.  You're right.  I am definitely loose with my "ie's" (even not punctuating them sometimes as in this case).  But given that it appears 176 times in the html documentation, I don't see the point in changing just these two.  It really is a minor difference between i.e. and e.g., which I hadn't appreciated until now.

Were you an english teacher at some point? ;)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Alan Clifford

Hi Phil,

Sorry about bringing this up  :(  but I am really surprised because you are so careful about the detail in your work.  It is not a minor difference.  In the example I noticed, you are essentially saying that the dot has to be specified as the directory rather than the dot being an example of a directory name.  I actually found it confusing when I first read it.

Alan

Phil Harvey

Hi Alan,

OK, you win.  I don't want to cause any confusion.

It only took me about an hour to sweep through all of these.

I will continue to use non-standard punctuation though: "eg."

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).