Writing GPS tags for movies

Started by oneghost, June 22, 2014, 09:36:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneghost

I im trying to embed GPS position on movie files so they can be recognized by iPhoto. Unfortunetly the standard gpslatitude and gpslongitude works for pictures, but for movies is not enough (for iPhoto to use it). I have noticed that movies made by iPhone have not only tag named GPS Position, but also GPS Coordinates. Is there any way to write this kind of tag info mov or mp4? Or maybe is there something else I need to do so iPhoto will work with this coordinates?

Phil Harvey

Currently ExifTool writes only XMP to movie files.  If iPhoto doesn't recognize XMP then we are out of luck.

Perhaps something like AtomicParsley could add the GPS atom recognized by iPhoto, but if it can I'm sure it would be difficult to figure out how to do it.

- Phil

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

oneghost

I tried AtomicParsley but I don't think it can do it. Even tried to edit my mov in hex editor and copy some information from other file but failed. Maybe if I read something about mov structure I will be able to do it this way, but I don't think so :/. Anyway if someone knows any application that can write this tags, please let me know.
This is how these tags from MOV look like in ascii. It's not xml based:

meta"hdlrmdta...keys(mdtacom.apple.quicktime.creationdate!mdtacom.apple.quicktime.model$mdtacom.apple.quicktime.software,mdtacom.apple.quicktime.location.ISO6709 mdtacom.apple.quicktime.makeŇilst0(dataPLAž2014-06-12T09:36:59+0200!dataPLAžiPhone 5sdataPLAž7.1.12*dataPLAž+49.6924+022.1059+336.000/dataPLAžApplefree

I tried to append this at the end of file and in few more places, but prabably there is something more that needs to be done for this to work.

Phil Harvey

Yes, unfortunately it is more complicated than just appending this to the end of the file.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

dmd3e

It would be extremely helpful to be able to write the com.apple.quicktime.location.ISO6709 tag; this would allow Exiftool to be able to GPS-tag videos for use in the Apple ecosystem.

Fulco

The new Photos app for OS X can read these tags (in a MOV and MP4 container) as well:

com.apple.quicktime.location.keywords
com.apple.quicktime.location.make
com.apple.quicktime.location.model

It would be great if Exiftool would be able to embed these tags in MOV- and MP4-files.

Phil Harvey

I think you mean

com.apple.quicktime.keywords
com.apple.quicktime.make
com.apple.quicktime.model

- Phil

Fulco

dmd3e

As a practical matter, the OS X-only command line tool avmetareadwrite can write to this field. Unfortunately, that's not really a solution for anyone who's not on OS X...