Main Menu

add tag if

Started by j99mac, July 17, 2014, 08:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hayo Baan

Quote from: Phil Harvey on July 17, 2014, 03:44:32 PM
I'm on 10.8.5 here, but I have set my default shell to tcsh.

Ah, interesting. Any specific reason you switched to tcsh? In my UNIX developer days, I remember using the tcsh myself too; it was just so much better than sh (or bash). But as far as I can tell now, the advantages are mostly gone since bash has evolved so much in the meantime (we're talking 15~20 years ago...). However, please enlighten me if there's something I might be missing out on ;)

Cheers,
Hayo
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Phil Harvey

Hi Hayo,

Bash is better if you are used to it, but I am more familiar with tcsh so it is easier for me.  tcsh has one main disadvantage that you can't pipe to stderr separately.  But other than that, I don't have any reason to switch.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Hayo Baan

Quote from: Phil Harvey on July 18, 2014, 07:12:35 AM
Bash is better if you are used to it, but I am more familiar with tcsh so it is easier for me.  tcsh has one main disadvantage that you can't pipe to stderr separately.  But other than that, I don't have any reason to switch.

Hi Phil, thanks for the info. So absolutely no reason for me to switch at all. And to me it seems one can live without the fancy redirecting bash offers (for the most time). True, it is nice to separately pipe stdout and stderr as in, exiftool xxxx 2> >(grep -v "errors I'm not interested in" 1>&2) | grep "Output I'm interested in". And still get the (filtered) errors. But when have you really needed this?
Hayo Baan – Photography

Phil Harvey

I only need to use the fancy redirecting occasionally, and I just do a quick "sh" if I need to do this.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

j99mac

I am doing it on a mac running OS X 10.6

Hayo Baan

Quote from: j99mac on July 18, 2014, 04:22:51 PM
I am doing it on a mac running OS X 10.6

Ok, then changing the quotes to single quotes (') should definitely work for you. Have you already tried that?

Cheers,
Hayo
Hayo Baan – Photography