Apply Basic Common Metadata to Images

Started by DS256, September 27, 2014, 08:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DS256

I'm new to EXIFTOOL but am really enjoying it's flexibility. I tend to keep images for a single event in their own directory.

In the past, I've used one tool to copy EXIF/IPTC information between images. However, this got complicated when I had one small camera that only took JPG plus Oympus and Nikon camers that I shot in raw (ORF, NEF).

The other problem was the different editing tools I may open up. These include PhotoShop, LightRoom, Olympus Viewer, Nikon VX-2 and CX-2. All seem to select different pieces of metadata to display in different ways.

So, using the reference to the Metadata Working group (http://www.exiftool.org/TagNames/MWG.html) to start applying the same value to the duplicate metadata tags.

My next step is to add additional steps to potentially apply manufacturers specific tags to ORF and NEF files by specifically setting these.

I'm posting this because I figure I can be the first to try address this issue of duplicate metadata across different file formats so am hoping someone else can contribute to what I started.

Thanks

Phil Harvey

Thanks for this post.  ExifTool does have a set of MWG tags which are designed to help in the implementation of the MWG recommendations.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).