Option for side-by-side printconv & numeric

Started by Marsu42, December 31, 2014, 07:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marsu42

I'm currently trying to figure out the dng format tags, and while doing so have to constantly switch between the numeric values (to see how exiftool interprets the values) and printconv clear text which I'd use in my scripting. It would be nice to have an option like "-nn" or "-n2" that displays *both* information types side by side so you can extract both and view them in one go.

Phil Harvey

Currently the only option that provides all these together is -X when used with -l, but I don't know if the XML format would be useful to you.

Alternatively, you could use -all -all# to show both with the same command, but they won't be grouped side-by-side.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Marsu42

Quote from: Phil Harvey on December 31, 2014, 10:13:12 AM
Currently the only option that provides all these together is -X when used with -l, but I don't know if the XML format would be useful to you.

Thanks, that does it. Personally, I don't need a fancy formatting from exiftool, but just want to see both raw and interpreted tag values to write my own scripts.

However, imho an option for side-by-side display with the standard list command would be a worthwhile addition - it's probably easy enough to implement if you think it's worth it to add yet another option to exiftool.

> exiftool -S -G1 -sort -a -e -n2 file.dng -IFD0:Orientation
[IFD0] Orientation: 1 | Horizontal (normal)

Phil Harvey

At this point I really try to avoid adding more options to exiftool because it already has too many.  So don't expect this in the near future.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).