News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Migrating from WPG to Lightroom 6 - People Tags

Started by Mywayout, May 05, 2015, 08:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mywayout

I'm trying to get my people tags to show up completely in Lightroom 6. With help from this forum, I have them showing the loupe view but they don't show up as people tags in Lightroom. Some research (below) indicated there is an additional change I need to make via ExifTool but I am not a coder and am completely lost without being able to just snip code examples. From the adobe thread (jist of the topic pasted below), it seems that two more fields need to be updated. I need this to happen without overwriting any other data that might be in the keywords fields (I have only basic descriptive tags and none are nested).

I used this thread (the latest copy of code with the location transform) to copy my windows photos gallery people tags to the standard: https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php/topic,4361.0.html

From a thread on Adobe's Forums:https://forums.adobe.com/message/7512379#7512379

Quote"It doesn't apply the keyword to the photo because it wasn't specified in the photo's XMP:Subject or IPTC:Keywords fields.

The core issue is that LR represents named faces using both MWG regions and keywords, whereas Picasa apparently just uses MWG regions.  When LR imports a Picasa photo, it correctly imports the region and the name attached to the region.  But because Picasa didn't also record a keyword for that person, LR didn't attach any keyword to the photo on import.   I don't see anything in the MWG Guidance that prefers the behavior of one program over the other in this situation.

To work around this incompatibility, you could use Exiftool to copy values in the Region Name field into the XMP:Subject field before you import the photos into LR."

Can anyone help a poor lost soul?

Phil Harvey

It sounds like you should run this command before you do the import:

exiftool "-xmp:subject<regionname" DIR

This will add the region names to XMP:Subject.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Mywayout

Thank you Phil! That sure looks easy enough. I'll give that a shot tonight.

These are mostly .jpgs. Does it work for those (I just though xmp was a RAW file thing)? Or do I have to move it to IPTC:keywords? From the quote I put in from the adobe forum - can it be either the xmp:subject OR ITPC Keyword? Or does it have to be in both?

If I should use ITPC instead of xmp, is the command below correct? After a test, I would run it for all directories so I added the -r

exiftool "-ITPC:Keywords<regionname" DIR -r

Phil Harvey

Quote from: Mywayout on May 05, 2015, 09:57:33 AM
These are mostly .jpgs. Does it work for those

Yes.

Quoteexiftool "-ITPC:Keywords<regionname" DIR -r

Close, but it is "IPTC", not "ITPC".

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Mywayout

Thanks.

Do you have a sense of whether I need to do both the IPTC AND the XMP? or is just XMP:subject good enough.

Phil Harvey

Mywayout

OK - I just did a test run with command:

exiftool "-xmp:subject<regionname" DIR -overwrite_origional_in_place -m -r

It overwrote the existing descriptive tags. Is there a way to ADD these name to the descriptive tags rather than replace the existing ones?

Phil Harvey

Mywayout

Bunkermentality

I'm brand new to ExifTool. I have a large WPG photo set which I'm attempting to migrate to Lightroom. I followed this thread eagerly and attempted a simple test.
I have a test folder with a single JPG which has a single face tag created using Windows Live Photo Gallery. As per the instruction I attempted

exiftool "-xmp:subject<regionname" DIR

This failed with error message "Warning: No writeable tags set from ./file.jpg

When I examined the tag set more closely I can see XMP tags "RegionRectangle" and "RegionPersonDisplayName" and "Subject" but no tag "regionname".

When I change the command line to include a tag name that I can see in the Xmp set then the command does work. This would explain the error being due to trying to reference a tag name that doesn't exist. But this doesn't explain how this could have possibly worked as a WPG migration solution for the other people in this thread.

Any advice would be most welcome. I'm using ExifTool 10.37

Paul

Phil Harvey

RegionName is an MWG tag.   RegionPersonDisplayName is an Microsoft MP tag.  I don't know why WPG would change what it is writing, but maybe you are using different versions of WPG.  Note that Microsoft is a member of the MWG group, so they are involved with creating both specifications.

- Phil

StarGeek

While I haven't taken time to test it, it was my understanding that Windows Photo Gallery wrote the Microsoft MP region tags.  Picasa was the program writing the MWG tags.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

Bunkermentality

Thanks for taking the time to reply. All of my face tags are XMP and have been written using Windows Photo Gallery 2012 16.4.3528.33. I can see the XMP tags RegionRectangle and RegionPersonalDisplayName in the XMP tag set. I can see that I need to convert these so that they can be used by Lightroom.

I've done some experimenting with migrating to Lightroom via Picasa. Picasa makes a reasonable fist of finding and converting the face tags but it doesn't do all of them. This seems to be due to the Face Detection Cluster and Suggestion Threshold settings. This approach gets most tags correct but I have 15,000 photos so "most" still leaves a lot of manual work.

So I don't trust going via Picasa. Hence the problem becomes quite simple (I hope). How to convert the XMP RegionRectangle and RegionPersonalDisplayName tages to something that Lightroom is happy with?

Surely I'm not the first (by a long way) to want to tackle this, seemingly, simple conversion. But I have yet to find a post that explains how.

Phil Harvey

Assuming that Lightroom recognizes MWG regions, I think that what you want is this (a config file included in the full ExifTool distribution that converts between WLPG and MWG regions).

- Phil

Bunkermentality

I've just found the time to come back to this. Your link leads to the convert_regions.config file and this seems to work very well.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. You've been a huge help.

Paul