Help needed on commend line

Started by barnold92009, June 05, 2015, 01:59:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

barnold92009

I am running windows 8.0
Running program in c:\music directory for all files that end with .jpg

Current Filename of all .jpg files shows as follows:   yyyy-mm-dd hh.mm.ss    example      2015-04-21 07.26.59.jpg

I would like to update the following tags using the date in Filename shown in format above or all dates if its easier.

Explorer date columns show names as follows:

Date
Date created
Date taken

running the following commend with no success.

Please cc     barnold92009@gmail.com     if possible

exiftool '-AllDates<filename '   -r -ext jpg  c:\music

thanks for your help.

StarGeek

Try using this command
Exiftool "-FileCreateDate<Filename" "-FileModifyDate<Filename"  -r -ext jpg  c:\music
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

A1GSS

Oh you can do more than one command with a single line? Cool.
Graham

Alan Clifford

Quote from: barnold92009 on June 05, 2015, 01:59:07 AM

exiftool '-AllDates<filename '   -r -ext jpg  c:\music

I'm not sure if it makes any difference but you have a space between the e and the quote.

StarGeek

Sorry, I skipped over the date taken part of your question.  Windows fills that date with the DateTimeOriginal tag.  So you'll need to add that to the command.  Adding AllDates back in will take care of that.

Exiftool "-FileCreateDate<Filename" "-FileModifyDate<Filename" "-Alldates<Filename" -r -ext jpg  c:\music

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

barnold92009

The following command works great to alter dates:
except, I have another tag showing in windows 8.0 explore called 'Date taken'

Exiftool "-FileCreateDate<Filename" "-FileModifyDate<Filename" -ext mp4  c:\music

how would i add this field to be updated too

barnold92009

When I run:   Exiftool "-FileCreateDate<Filename" "-FileModifyDate<Filename"  -ext mp4  c:\music

it alters date,  date created and date modified which is wonderful  but  not    date taken

when I alter command adding  "-Alldates<Filename"

new commend   Exiftool "-FileCreateDate<Filename" "-FileModifyDate<Filename"  "-Alldates<Filename"  -ext mp4  c:\music
it has the following effect.

date taken still not updated
  it also then does not update   date created for some reason

barnold92009

Can you provide me with tag names for all 4 window tags

date
date created
date modified
date taken

also,  does an mp4 file even have this tag available ?

would like to try same commend below but add two more commands for cover all 4 above date tags explicitly without using alldate()

Exiftool "-FileCreateDate<Filename" "-FileModifyDate<Filename"    "?"  "?"              -ext mp4  c:\music

Phil Harvey

See FAQ 2 for help determining tag names.  Also see the the QuickTime tags documentation for a list of tags that are writable in MP4 videos.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

StarGeek

Quote from: barnold92009 on June 05, 2015, 10:09:01 PM
Can you provide me with tag names for all 4 window tags

date
date created
date modified
date taken

also,  does an mp4 file even have this tag available ?

I'm guessing that you have these as columns in the directory listing, and are not looking in the properties window.  These entries do not apply to all files.  For example, you can add a "Business Postal Code" column and that probably isn't going to apply to any video or image file.

Date Created and Date Modified under the properties window have already been discussed.  I checked several mp4 files and they did not have a Date Taken entry under the properties window, so it's unlikely that you will be able to use that column for mp4s.  The Date column will vary by file type.  For an image file, it will use Exif:DateTimeOriginal if it exists, followed by XMP:DateTimeOriginal, followed by CreateDate, followed by FileCreateDate.  There may be other items it checks.  For the mp4, it looks like it uses the FileModifyDate.

I'm guessing that if the column you're interested in doesn't appear in the Details tab of the Properties window, it doesn't apply to that file type.