specific data into specific columns using -csv

Started by AESlynx, June 15, 2015, 01:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AESlynx

Hello,
I have been using exiftool for a while but I am in need of some assistance and I definitely do not feel like I have my "wings" yet.
I am currently attempting to make a csv file with specific columns of data.

I have tried multiple ways with only two ways giving output but this is what happens:

1) If I write the string:  exiftool -csv -r -p $FileModifyDate -p $MoonPhase -p $AmbientTemperature C:\PTC >C:\PTC\file.csv   

I get the data in groups of three rows in each column, i.e. row 1 is file modify date 1 row 2 is moon phase 1 and row three is ambient temperature 1

2)  If I write the string:  exiftool -csv -r -p "$FileModifyDate  $MoonPhase  $AmbientTemperature" C:\PTC >C:\PTC\file.csv

I get the all of the data in a single cell,  It is in the order I want but all in one column

Please let me know if there is a way to export the specific data to multiple columns.

Thank you for your time, I look forward to learning from you,
-AESlynx

AESlynx

Well, a little trial and error got me where I needed, but as I could see this may be a problem for other newbies (maybe) I will post how I fixed it.  Realizing that csv meant comma seperated values I added commas to my command, i.e.,
exiftool -csv -r -p "$FileModifyDate,  $MoonPhase,  $AmbientTemperature" C:\PTC >C:\PTC\file.csv

This gave me the fix I needed.

Hope this helps someone in the future.
-AESlynx

Phil Harvey

The -p and -csv options are mutually exclusive.  Reading FAQ 12 may help here.

You could also do something like this:

exiftool -csv -r -FileModifyDate -MoonPhase -AmbientTemperature C:\PTC >C:\PTC\file.csv

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).