Feature Request: Export metadata as workspace file

Started by WHA1949, June 22, 2015, 06:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WHA1949

Problem:

Creating own workspace is not user friendly, but a very useful feature.
Currently I see 2 ways of doing this:
1. As shown in video, using GUI every single tag has to be added individually to workspace, either by typing or copying. By the way for "ALL" the command "Add tag to workspace" is not available.
2. Edit Workspace ini file.

I believe that workspace will normally be a subset of what is displayed in "ALL". So it would be easier if I could copy all tags contained in ALL and then just delete those that I don't want.
By doing an "export metadata as Workspace file" it would be easy to edit this file for later import. Maybe you could also allow comments in workspace file. This way it would be possible to have the tagname (in local language) included in workspace file. Because:

When looking at ExifToolGui output then I don't directly see which tag is really displayed. For example: when output shows Tag Name "City" then its not obvious which tag was really used. It is possible to copy this tag to workspace, and using Workspace manager you can find "-xmp:LocationShownCity" as tag definition, but thats complicated.

An additional enhancement would be to create a "User defined filelist" in a similar way.

I think these enhancements wouldn't be difficult to implement, but would really add much functionality. I don't know of any program which could do that.

What is your opinion?

StarGeek

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

WHA1949

Thank you for your hint. I realised only now that "currently" unsupported means "since 2012".
However there was a new version (5.16)  in 2015. So maybe there is some hope???

jacal

The author seems to reappear with a patch when something that might be a bug is found. See this post from April:

https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php/topic,6414.0.html

-Mart