Author Topic: Windows metadata  (Read 23478 times)

neebah

Re: Windows metadata
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 11:05:30 AM »
Thanks

What about those crazy Microsoft tags that are added to MOV and MP4.  These are where descriptive tags are stored in these files (and called categories) when set in windows.  Is there a camera make and model for these tags that can be set by something. 

neebah

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 11:10:34 AM »
A possible known note about XP keyword tags. 

I've noticed that when you delete descriptive tags (at least in WPG, not 100% on properties pane) that the xmp gets deleted but the XP keywords are still in the file.  Only the pointer is deleted.  I"m sure this is known behaviour.  But wanted to make sure.

jo.dor

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2020, 05:46:56 AM »
Testing now writing tags in Windows 10 Explorer, I'm finding that EXIF:XPKeywords and XMP:Subject are written, but not IPTC:Keywords. However, if I manually create an IPTC:Keywords value, it will be read in Windows 10 Explorer, and if I then update the tags in Windows 10 Explorer it will write to all three EXIF:XPKeywords, IPTC:Keywords, and XMP:Subject.
So it seems that Windows 10 will always read from IPTC:Keywords if present, but will not write to IPTC:Keywords unless already present.

StarGeek

• Global Moderator
  • ExifTool Freak
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2020, 12:01:31 PM »
Ah, yes, I had forgotten about that.  As I noted in my first post, IPTC data isn't written unless the IPTC block already exists.  It doesn't have to be Keywords.  Even if the only thing in the IPTC block is ApplicationRecordVersion, then IPTC data will be written. 
Troubleshooting hints:
* When posting, include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).
* Double all percent signs (%) in a Windows batch file.
* If your GPS coords are negative, make sure and set the GpsLatitudeRef and GpsLongitudeRef tags correctly.