News:

2023-03-15 Major improvements to the new Geolocation feature

Main Menu

Sourcefile Tag in other languages

Started by ibf2, July 10, 2015, 01:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibf2

Hello,

I'm building an application in Python to manage different tags using ExifTool. I pass ExifTool some filenames, the filenames contains spanish letters such as ñ, á or whatever non ascii. I'm using -charset FileName=Latin option.

The problem I find is that File:FileName and File:Directory work right, but Sourcefile return ? in this letters.

If I try to use the Sourcefile tag to update the files I read, using a json file, I can not be sure there is only one file updated in an especific folder as ? is wildcard.

Are there any way to make ExifTool return the SourceFile TAG as it does with File:FileName and File:Directory?

Thank you very much,

Ignacio

Phil Harvey

Hi Ignacio,

SourceFile is not an ExifTool tag.  It is a special entry in the CSV or JSON output of the exiftool application, and as such is treated differently.

But I think you are right, the -charset filename should probably apply to this output.  I'll think about this some more, but likely change this in the next release.

Thanks for the suggestion.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ibf2

Hi Phil, thank's for your answer,

I'm actually using a workaraund with File:Directory and File:FileName, but Sourcefile seems to be more "elegant" as it's the reference returned by exiftool to the file.

Will wait for next version.

Ignacio