"Ordered" rename when burst mode is used

Started by alainmailing, July 22, 2015, 11:23:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alainmailing

Hello,

I'm using exiftool for renaming my photos according to the create date.
For exemple: exiftool -d %Y_%m_%d_%Hh_%Mm_%Ss%%+c.%%e DIR

The problem occurs when the burst mode is used: I may have 3 photos with the same create date. The option "+c" manage this by appending an incremental number.
BUT it seems that exiftool doens't take account the Initial order of the photo. Let's say I have initially photo_01.DNG photo_02.DNG photo_03.DNG, I may have for output dateX(photo2)_01.DNG dateX(photo3)_02.DNG dateX(photo1).DNG

So when viewing image afterwards, the "photo movement" is not respected.

Am i missing something ?

Best regards and have a nice day  ;)
Alain

Phil Harvey

Hi Alain,

Try adding -fileorder filename to the command to sort them in order of file name.

On most systems, directory listings are already in order of file name, but this is not necessarily true in Windows.  However you can use the -fileOrder option to force whatever processing order you want.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

alainmailing

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your advice, I'll try it.

Just for my understanding, what do you mean when you said "directory listings are already in order of file name". Exiftool use system default ordering?
As i am using linux system (archlinux), does this mean that exiftool compute files in the same order as 'ls' for example?

Thanks.

Alain

Phil Harvey

Hi Alain,

Yes.  ExifTool processes a directory in the system ordering, which I thought was alphabetical on Linux.  It should be the same order as "ls".  So in this case, -fileorder filename should have no effect, and you need to find some other way to determine the file processing order.  (You can use any other tag(s) with the -fileorder option.)

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

alainmailing

Hi Phil,

Thank you, it's interresting.... and i'm astonished that alphabetical order is not the linux default one.....

I will check when i will be at home and keep you informed.

Thanks
Alain

hansherlighed

Hi Phil,

Thanks for an incredible program. Exiftool is an amazing tool.

I had the exact same issue as Alain and I'm using Exiftool 9.99 on Ubuntu.
I have 3 files named:
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

Running ls on the folder shows:
-rwxrw-rw-  1 someone   somegroup  1577852 Aug  3 22:08 1.jpg*
-rwxrw-rw-  1 someone   somegroup  1619956 Aug  3 22:08 2.jpg*
-rwxrw-rw-  1 someone   somegroup  1645652 Aug  3 22:08 3.jpg*
-rwxrw-rw-  1 someone   somegroup  1671969 Aug  3 22:08 4.jpg*
-rwxrw-rw-  1 someone   somegroup  1688827 Aug  3 22:08 5.jpg*
-rwxrw-rw-  1 someone   somegroup  1702037 Aug  3 22:08 6.jpg*
-rwxrw-rw-  1 someone   somegroup  1717269 Aug  3 22:08 7.jpg*
-rwxrw-rw-  1 someone   somegroup  1737283 Aug  3 22:08 8.jpg*

Running  exiftool -time:dateTimeOriginal . gives this result:

exiftool -time:dateTimeOriginal .
======== ./7.jpg
Date/Time Original              : 2015:07:11 17:26:15
======== ./8.jpg
======== ./6.jpg
======== ./1.jpg
Date/Time Original              : 2015:07:11 17:26:14
======== ./2.jpg
======== ./5.jpg
======== ./4.jpg
======== ./3.jpg
    1 directories scanned
    8 image files read

While running exiftool -time:dateTimeOriginal -fileorder filename . gives the correct expected result:

exiftool -time:dateTimeOriginal -fileorder filename .
======== ./1.jpg
======== ./2.jpg
======== ./3.jpg
======== ./4.jpg
======== ./5.jpg
======== ./6.jpg
======== ./7.jpg
======== ./8.jpg
    1 directories scanned
    8 image files read

Not sure if this is a bug in exiftool or expected behaviour, but it has resulted in my photo collection being messed up as all burst sequences are ordered incorrectly.

do you know of any smart way of getting them ordered correctly now that they have been renamed like this"-d %Y%m%d_%H%M%S%%-c.%%e

StarGeek

Assuming that these are camera images, you might want to check the metadata for something that will help out.  For example, Nikon images may have a FileNumber, ShutterCount, or SubSecTime tag.  Looking at a Canon image from a friend I see SubSecTime and FileIndex. 

You'll probably have to rename them completely once to get them in the proper order, then again to get the final filenames including the -fileorder filename option. 

For example,
ExifTool -d '%Y%m%d_%H%M%S' '-filename<${dateTimeOriginal}_$SubSecTime.%e'  DIR

Followed by
ExifTool -d '%Y%m%d_%H%M%S%%-c.%%e' -fileorder filename '-filename<Datetimeoriginal' DIR

* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

hansherlighed

Quote from: StarGeek on August 03, 2015, 07:41:10 PM
Assuming that these are camera images, you might want to check the metadata for something that will help out.  For example, Nikon images may have a FileNumber, ShutterCount, or SubSecTime tag.  Looking at a Canon image from a friend I see SubSecTime and FileIndex. 

You'll probably have to rename them completely once to get them in the proper order, then again to get the final filenames including the -fileorder filename option. 

For example,
ExifTool -d '%Y%m%d_%H%M%S' '-filename<${dateTimeOriginal}_$SubSecTime.%e'  DIR

Followed by
ExifTool -d '%Y%m%d_%H%M%S%%-c.%%e' -fileorder filename '-filename<Datetimeoriginal' DIR

Thanks StarGeek,

I found that my Sony camera has a "Sony:ImageCount" tag that I could use to rename the files to get the correct sequence order and then rename them back to my preferred date format afterwards.

I'm now struggling with my Iphone photos, do you know of any tags I could use on photos from an Iphone? I cannot seem to find and filenumber, sequence, count or any other unique tag to help me.

StarGeek

Do the iPhone pictures have gps data in them?  Check GPSTimeStamp maybe?  One iphone picture example I found had subseconds in the GPSTimeStamp. 

Otherwise, you might have to reorder manually. 
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

hansherlighed

Quote from: StarGeek on August 04, 2015, 04:25:24 PM
Do the iPhone pictures have gps data in them?  Check GPSTimeStamp maybe?  One iphone picture example I found had subseconds in the GPSTimeStamp. 

Otherwise, you might have to reorder manually. 

Hi StarGeek,

Thanks for the help. I was able to use the subseconds from the GPS data, all set, thanks.