Exiftool stops working in Windows 10 but does its job in GeoSetter

Started by leahcimi, November 10, 2015, 04:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leahcimi

I've raised the topic that ExifTool 'Stops working' under Windows 10 before and this is still true of the latest version.

Upon further testing with Geosetter however, I find that, although I get 'ExifTool has stopped working' messages for each selected image on opening, and when I try to apply GPS data to them from a GPX file, the data is actually written to them (directly to JPG files and to an XMP file for CR2 files).

Has anyone else experienced this?

Gary

Curious that you're having a problem with GeoSetter, ExifTool and Windows 10. I'm using the same assemblage (latest versions, of course) and having no trouble at all. Are you sure that things are installed correctly? I did have a bit of a struggle with that, when I first tried to install things. Then again, I should note that I also like to use ExifTool directly, as well as via GeoSetter, so I set the environment variable to make GeoSetters latest downloaded version of ExifTool available from any directory. Maybe this could have a bearing on your issue?

(As an aside: I believe that Geosetter stores the latest downloaded version of ExifTool with its other parameter files under Windows 10 and the originally installed version of ExifTool with the program. No idea why this is done, when the current version could have been loaded at install. Try a search for ExifTool and then look at the version info. You'll find the correct file quickly enough. From that point it's easy enough to put the path to the latest version in the "path" string.)

Perhaps if you were to give a few more details, something might become obvious.

leahcimi

Actually, I also have the problem of 'EXIFTool  has stopped working' when using EXIFTool GUI or running it under a Command prompt - see 'ExifTool stops working under Windows 10' in 'The "exiftool" Application' section.

Gary

Odd ... I use it quite often from the command line and it works just fine. Not sure what we're doing differently. Are you sure you're using the latest version?

leahcimi

Have tried every version from 9.99 through to 10.05, being careful to clean up temporary files every time. Maybe we have different settings in Windows; I'm not a fan of Windows 10's snooping and plethora of 'extras' so have lots of things switched off.

Gary

Me too!!!! I have disabled about every reporting mechanism I can and used non-MS apps whenever possible.

EddieBug

Confirmed. Exiftool does not work in Windows 10. I'm using links and batch files for my work. I hope we get a fix soon.

Eddie Dunbar, MBA
Founder & President
Insect Sciences Museum of California

Gary

I'd love to know why you fellows are having issues with it.
I am running it under Windows 10 (full install and latest updates) with absolutely no issues.
Did you upgrade your windows or do a clean install.
I've heard of trouble on upgraded windows platforms that were solved by a clean install.

EddieBug

Gary, thanks.
Fixed! This wasn't an exiftool problem afterall. I spoke/wrote too soon. The problem was a known Windows 10 problem. Right after posting I started dealing with another Windows 10 problem. Since I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 my CPU started running at 100% capacity most of the time. My memory was also almost always at capacity. Additionally, my Excel spreadsheets started displaying results to formulae that I knew were wrong. After making some memory tweaks my computer feels much better. I've just tried exiftool again and it's back to its effective, reliable self. Windows 10, out of the box, is known to consume incredible resources to perform simple tasks. Exiftool users should steer clear of Windows 10 or should make some of the memory tweaks now being recommended by experts using Windows 10.

leahcimi

I've already done quite alot of tweaking in my Windows 10, what specifically did you do to get EXIFTool to work please?

Gary

Gents;

I think that setting switches to avoid sending too much info to the "mothership" is one thing, but the word "tweaks" has me a bit worried.
Microsoft just put out another major update to Windows 10. It may fix your latent issues without "tweaks".
Oddly enough, the auto-update feature doesn't actually pick up all the updates.
Best go in and do a manual one about once a month and you'll find that it'll often find something that should be updated.
Doing that might fix things by itself.

leahcimi

Major update to Windows this morning, no change to EXIFTool problem.

Gary

Did you upgrade your Windows to 10 or did you clean install Windows 10?
The upgrade route has been reported to cause issues.

leahcimi

I originally upgraded from Windows 7 but EXIFTool is the ONLY programme I have had problems with since then. Even my old DOS DataPerfect database runs OK under vDOS.

Gary

That does seem odd. The issues with upgraded systems seem to be more pervasive.
Not sure I can suggest much else unless something that ExifTool requires as a library is not there.

One minute... Try installing GeoSetter, a program for geotagging.
It's free and installs and uses its own copy of the latest version of ExifTool in its own location. (You may actually find it useful as an ExifTool GUI of sorts, too.)
If it works, then the issue is likely something to do with the way your separate copy of ExifTool is installed.
Try it and post how it goes.

If it works, I can explain how to make them share a globally available copy.