Inverse geotagging from NextBase dashcam footage

Started by jusw, March 18, 2016, 11:10:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjc-506

Phil Harvey

Ah.  I just discovered that ExifTool was decoding GPSTrack improperly for this video with the -ee option.  I'll fix this too in the next release.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

mjc-506

11.92 is looking good, thanks.

I was having trouble loading the resulting gpx file into qGis - turns out my version of Powershell was writing in UTF16, upsetting things.

exiftool.exe -p gpx.fmt -ee file.MP4 | out-file -encoding ascii out.gpx

outputs UTF8 without the BOM that results if I use utf8 encoding...

(Powershell 5.1.17134.858, I understand later versions do things a bit better)

edit:

Apologies, just noticed that elevation isn't extracted from the nmea strings. Is this expected?

Phil Harvey

...or you could use cmd.exe instead of PowerShell. :)

As I said, ExifTool is only parsing the RMC sentence.  Unfortunately it is the GGA that contains the elevation.

I don't have a plan for how I could parse both because of the complication I mentioned about the corresponding GGA being in a different Text block.  So currently the only way to use ExifTool to geotag with elevation would be to output the raw NMEA and geotag from that.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

mjc-506

That'd be far too simple :-)

Ah, gotcha, sorry. No problem, I can dump the $text# (which includes the GGA) and parse that :-)