Problems Installing and Running on OSX

Started by polar, April 26, 2016, 04:48:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

polar

Hi All,
I'm having some issues using EXIF tool with Mac 10.6.8

I am trying to use ExifTool with Phoshare to export my entire iphoto6 library before my mac dies(!), I have run the installer and when I run "exiftool" in the terminal I see the documentation file -  but Phoshare can't find it as I get the following error:

"Cannot execute "exiftool". Make sure you have exiftool installed as /usr/bin/exiftool. You can download a copy from http://www.exiftool.org/."

I have read the instructions on the install page and seen this:
If this doesn't work, then it is likely you have an older version of OS X for which /usr/local/bin isn't in the default PATH. To fix this, add the following line to your ~/.profile settings using a text editor:
export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin

Now my mac is very old so i'm assuming this relates to my issue but I'm unsure of exactly what I need to do, can anyone provide some more info?

Many thanks!

Phil Harvey

The problem is that with OS X El Capitan ExifTool was forced to change to /usr/local/bin instead of /usr/bin.  I suggest contacting the authors of Photoshare to update their software to look for ExifTool in the new location.  It sounds like they may not be using the path settings.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).