Install problem on Mac 10.11.4

Started by ivolino, May 03, 2016, 02:57:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivolino

Install problem on Mac 10.11.4.

I installed ExifTool-10.15.dmg and then the apk file. I type exiftool in Terminal window but nothing happens.

Do I have to copy the image into the same folder? Please simple instructions.

Phil Harvey

Nothing happens?  Or do you get a "Command not found" error?

If the latter, try opening another Terminal window and trying again (exiftool may not be found if you installed while the Terminal window was open).

If this doesn't work, tell me the output of this command:  printenv PATH

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ivolino

Nothing happens. I get this message for printenv PATH:

/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin

Phil Harvey

I don't understand how simply nothing can happen.  You type "exiftool" in a Terminal window and press RETURN and nothing happens?

Your PATH contains the directory that ExifTool should be installed into (/usr/local/bin).  Maybe try installing ExifTool again.  Are you sure you ran the .pkg installer after opening the disk image?

What is the output of this command?:  ls -l /usr/local/bin/exiftool /usr/local/bin/lib

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

ivolino

After reboot of my Mac a lot happens in the terminal window but what do I have to do to read the metadata of a jgeg?

Phil Harvey

I think you're looking at the Console.  The Terminal window is accessed by launching /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app

To view metadata, type "exiftool" in this window, then a SPACE, then drag and drop an image file onto the Terminal window, then press RETURN in the Terminal window.

- Phil

ivolino

Again nothing happens when I type exiftool in terminal window. . Is it a problem when the Computer was in sleep mode?

Hayo Baan

Can you post a screenshot of the terminal application you used? Looks like you are not doing the right things, but it's kinda hard to tell without seeing what you're doing...
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

ivolino

Hayo Baan

Hmm, that is odd. Without any parameters, exiftool should show its usage, not wait (which is what it looks like it does for you).

You mentioned you also installed an apk file, what is that? Where did you get that?

Can you also show us the output of the following three commands:
perl -v
which exiftool
ls -l /usr/local/bin/exiftool
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Phil Harvey

If you type exiftool with no parameters, it should show its help documentation.  The formatting of the help documentation may take up to 10 seconds or so if your system is slow.  Alternatively, I suppose it is possible that El Capitan is blocking exiftool from running somehow because it is an application downloaded from the internet.  But I thought you would get a warning dialog in this case.  In your security settings, try allowing apps downloaded from anywhere.

- Phil

ivolino

perl -v

This is perl 5, version 18, subversion 2 (v5.18.2) built for darwin-thread-multi-2level
(with 2 registered patches, see perl -V for more detail)

Copyright 1987-2013, Larry Wall

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on
this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.

which exiftool
/usr/local/bin/exiftool

ls -l /usr/local/bin/exiftool
-rwxr-xr-x  1 ivonoerenberg  wheel  262072 Apr 19 13:46 /usr/local/bin/exiftool

ivolino

Even if I set it to always, nothing happens.

Phil Harvey

This is very curious.  Can you run Perl from the command line?:

perl -e 'print "test\n"'

If so, try downloading the full ExifTool distribution, unpacking it, and running ExifTool directly from there:

~/Desktop/Image-ExifTool-10.15/exiftool

- Phil

ivolino