ERROR: ExifTool not found! in spite of following directions.

Started by jscheinman, June 20, 2016, 12:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jscheinman

Attempting to run ExiftoolGui  first time. Looked at all other threads of same, with same results.  I use Win7, program ExifToolGui files in c: \program files\exiftoolgui directory.  exiftool(-K).exe changed to exiftool.exe , placed in c:/windows directory (as well as in above directory as well), still gives error on opening:
ERROR: ExifTool not found! Metadata operations disabled.
I'd use the command line version if I knew how to specifically phrase the command line to extract gps data from all jpg files in directory c:\photos into cvs file,  and where the cvs is written, as well as to in which directory to place the exiftool.exe file for this operation.
Sorry to be such an ignorant neophyte, but want to plot our travels on google earth.  Thanks loads, jon

Phil Harvey

Hi Jon,

The command line is:

exiftool -a -gps:all -csv c:\photos > c:\photos\gps.csv

This will extract all gps tags from images in c:\photos, and write the CSV file to c:\photos\gps.csv

Add -r to the command if you want to also extract information from subdirectories in c:\photos recursively.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

jscheinman

:)  My gosh, how quick and clear!  I'll give it a try. Jon

jscheinman

hmm

I've also been "struck" with that issue when moving to Windows 10. I'm quite sure it has something to do with the Gui, which is sadly not in development anymore.

I can run the exiftool.exe fine in command line and I can run it in gui as well. But as soon as I mount an ISO on a virtual drive, it attempts to go to "DefaultDir=C:\Users\usename\Videos", and throws the "Exiftool not found! Metadata operations disabled" error. 

I've tried several builds of the gui with several builds of the tool, and all act in similar ways e,g:

Latest Gui/tool: attempt to reach that location + throws a bunch of such errors + not possible to get back to the default location I have it set for my pics
Gui 4.27 + latest tool: attempt to reach that location + not possible to get back to the default location, but no errors.  I'm currently using this setup with ExifToolGUI.ini set as read-only, so I can restart the gui without having to navigate to my default location again.

Has anyone found a solution for that?

Phil Harvey

...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

hmm

I've added exiftool and exiftool gui to defender exclusions. It's still going to Videos when I mount and ISO file :(

Phil Harvey

DaytonaJohn

I had the same problem, but fixed it by right clicking on the ExifToolGUI application and selecting "properties". Select the "Compatibility" tab in the properties pop-up. Turn on the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:", and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" in the dropdown below. I also checked the "Run this program as an administrator" option, but not sure this is required.

Steve Balcombe

Quote from: DaytonaJohn on August 28, 2016, 10:35:36 PM
I had the same problem, but fixed it by right clicking on the ExifToolGUI application and selecting "properties". Select the "Compatibility" tab in the properties pop-up. Turn on the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:", and select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)" in the dropdown below. I also checked the "Run this program as an administrator" option, but not sure this is required.

Yep, that does seem to be a solution. I set compatibility for Windows 7, as I'd been using ExifToolGUI in Windows 7 for years - seems to have worked.

remarkableearth

I'm wondering if anyone has a different solution than that posted above to the problem of an error upon launching of ExifToolGUI. I just installed it and get the same error of ExifToolGUI not found! Metadata operations disabled.

I followed DaytonaJohn's advice of changing compatibilities to my Windows 7 environment but that results in the same error.

allsan8

This may or may not work for you.  For me:  The ExifTool GUI (5.16) wasn't working in Windows 10.  Had been.  I never got the error: "ExifTool not found!".  What happened here:  ExifTool GUI would freeze up when I clicked on an image or an XMP sidecar or when I tried to access Preferences.  After trying a bunch of things related to Windows (Admin, moving ExifTool, excluding files and folders in Defender, ...), I installed a previous version of ExifTool.  ExifTool 10.47 works without any of my previous Windows tweaks.  ExifTool 10.66 does not.  I revisited my Windows 7 machine and the same situation is true:  10.47 works; 10.66 does not.

Phil Harvey

Have you tried running both at the command line?  The only possibilities I could see are:

1. Your antivirus doesn't like 10.66 for some reason

or

2. The 10.66 install is corrupted

There were no changes to the ExifTool Windows build that should have made any difference between 10.47 and 10.66

- Phil

wazrob

Phil,

ExifToolGUI does not work with ExifTool 10.66 because of the -stay_open problem.  This has been corrected with ExifTool 10.67.  Update to ExifTool 10.67 and ExifToolGUI should then work.

Warren

Phil Harvey

Ah, warren.  Right!  Nice catch!

I was looking for Windows-specific changes and had forgotten about the -stay_open problem.

- Phil