Main Menu

Directory not created

Started by skinnerbird, July 01, 2016, 01:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skinnerbird

I've played with exiftool a bit over the past several years but not enough to take me even remotely out of the newbie category :P. So this is a very basic question. When entering a command, I apparently have a syntax problem because I keep getting a "directory not created" error message when I'm trying to process a file -- even though I don't think creating a directory should be an issue:
exiftool  "-description='some text'" "-title='some text'"  "-filename=filename.tif/filenamenew.tif" filename.tif

I will be very grateful for some direction

Geoffrey

Hayo Baan

You are trying to create a directory with the same name as the file you are moving into it. This is impossible (you can not have both a file and a directory with the same name). My guess is that you just want to rename the file and not move it into a new directory is well. This command will do that:
exiftool  -description="some text" -title="some text"  -filename=filenamenew.tif filename.tif

I also removed the unnecessary quotes, note that I assumed you are on windows too, if on a Mac/Linux, replace the double quotes with single quotes. Oh, and if the new (or original) filename contains spaces, be sure to add quotes around these too.

HTH,
Hayo
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

skinnerbird

After playing a bit , I more or less answered my own question. Thank you, Hayo, for pointing out that I was trying to write to the same directory. My intention is actually to write a copy to a different directory. This worked:
exiftool -filename="/dir/subdir/new.tif" -keywords+="old filename" -title="text" old.tif