Main Menu

change camera exif ?

Started by FrankG, July 04, 2016, 01:37:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankG

Ok firstly a disclaimer - I am so out of my depth here so if anyone replies please go v slow and step by step.

I have OSX 10.6.8 and Photoshop/ACR/Bridge CS6

My new Lumix GX85/80 Raw files cant be read (long story but I cant update PS or my OS) and it has been suggested elsewhere that if I change the exif from GX85 to GM5 it'll work

I'm looking for a simple solution. Can you help?

StarGeek

You might try exiftool -Model=DMC-GM5 but I would test it on a copy, not an original file first.  It may not work or you might get weird results.
* Did you read FAQ #3 and use the command listed there?
* Please use the Code button for exiftool code/output.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

FrankG

So launch the terminal.app from Applications>Utilities>Terminal and at the command line type -Model=DMC-GM5
How do I direct it at the file/s or folder in question?
Do I type the path first? Like this? If so, no luck. But I most likely have done it incorrectly.
frank-grosss-mac-pro:~ frankgross$ -Model=DMC-GM5/Photo_files_2/Camera_Downloads/2016/July/ExifToolTests/0139.RW2

StarGeek

Quote from: FrankG on July 04, 2016, 02:52:26 PM
So launch the terminal.app from Applications>Utilities>Terminal
Sounds about right (I don't use a Mac, so I'm not sure).

Quoteand at the command line type -Model=DMC-GM5

All of this, you can also copy/paste it into the terminal window
exiftool -Model=DMC-GM5

QuoteHow do I direct it at the file/s or folder in question?

You add the full path to the target file or directory.  I believe you can grab it and drag it onto the Terminal and it will be added to the command.

QuoteDo I type the path first? Like 'name of HD'/camera_downloads/2016/july/ and then the -Model=DMC-GM5

exiftool has to be first.  The rest can be in almost any order (there are some exceptions).  Personally, I usually put the path last but everyone has their own preference.  If there are spaces in the path name, I believe you can enclose the entire path in single quotes ('name of HD/camera_downloads/2016/july/') or just put a backslash before each space (name\ of\ HD/camera_downloads/2016/july/). 

As I said, I do recommend making a copy of a file and testing it on that first.

* Please include your OS, Exiftool version, and type of file you're processing (MP4, JPG, etc).

FrankG

mmm no luck
I'm so ignorant that I'm likely making a basic/simple mistake. Syntax?
I made a temporary folder/dir ExifToolTests and placed one duplicate file in it. I tried making the path to the folder/dir and also to the filename

frank-grosss-mac-pro:~ frankgross$ exiftool -Model=DMC-GM5\Photo_files_2\Camera_Downloads\2016/July\ExifToolTests\0139.RW2\
>
No file specified

StarGeek

Try this:
exiftool -Model=DMC-GM5 /Photo_files_2/Camera_Downloads/2016/July/ExifToolTests/0139.RW2

There should be a space between the Tag option and the file path.  And on the Mac, I believe you want slashes, not backslashes.   

FrankG

It worked!!!!!
Thank You !!!!! :) :D ;D

Here's the line. I needed to add Volumes before the hard drive name.
And I used my old Lumix model number which I knew worked previously GX7

frank-grosss-mac-pro:~ frankgross$ exiftool -Model=DMC-GX7 /Volumes/Photo_files_2/Camera_Downloads/2016/July/ExifToolTests
    1 directories scanned
    1 image files updated

Hayo Baan

Instead of this "work around" you might also want to check out Adobe's DNG converter (not sure that supports your, quite old, version of OS X though...). Converting to DNG will allow CS6 to process your files too.

As a side note I would really really suggest you upgrade your OS to something more current than 10.6...
Hayo Baan – Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

FrankG

Thanks yes. DNG converter was the first thing I tried but it needs a newer OS