new exif 2.31 offsettimeoriginal tag

Started by neebah, October 02, 2016, 09:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

neebah

Is there a way I can input these new tags from the GPS DateStamp and TimeStamp. 

Phil Harvey

The attached config file will calculate a TimeZone tag from these for you.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

Happy Hobo

I ranexiftool -config (path)/time_zone.config imagebut the file isn't changed and I don't see a time zone on stdout.

Where do I look for it?  It's going to take me some time to learn how to read such a file.

Phil Harvey

There was a problem with that attached config file -- it didn't properly generate the TimeZone tag.

Also, there have been a number of improvements since this post.  click here to see the current version of this file.  I've also attached the updated version here.

- Phil
...where DIR is the name of a directory/folder containing the images.  On Mac/Linux/PowerShell, use single quotes (') instead of double quotes (") around arguments containing a dollar sign ($).

blue-j

Oh yes, that one works!  Thanks, Phil!  - J

blue-j

I am wondering about the relation between GMT offset and time zone. Can you help? It seems you cannot infer time zone from offset. Am I misunderstanding the output of this config?

I read this and have spun out...

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13763433/gmt-offset-to-php-timezone

- J

blue-j

https://spin.atomicobject.com/2016/07/06/time-zones-offsets/

Phil Harvey

It depends on what you are calling time zone.  If you mean something like -05:00 then it is the offset.  But if you mean something like EST5EDT, then no, you can't infer this from the offset.

- Phil